Did I buy a bad light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatatonicBug

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I made a bit of a mistake... I think.

I wanted to swap out the fake plants in my tank and go for real ones, so I went to the LFS, and bought 2 clumps of plants, that are supposed to get up to 72 inches tall (my tank is over 3 feet deep).

I was told that I needed to replace my lightbulb, since it had been over 2 years since I had done so. I was at the LFS, and found the bulb section. Not knowing anthing about lights, or what the ratings meant, I went for the highest K number I could find, thinking that would get me really bright light... I have since found out that plants actually like a certain K rating, and I may have purchased the wrong one. Will the 18000k bulb I bought kill my plants?

That light won't kill your plants, they will still grow, they just may not grow as well as they would with a lower K rated bulb. Most planted tank people use a K rating of between 5500k and 10000k. I use a mix of 6700k and 10000k. It's personal prefrance,whichever is more pleasing to your eye. In general, lower K ratings mean a more yellow colour, higher the K gets you will see more of a blue/white light. Plants will use whatever light you give them, they typically just do better between 5500k and 10000k. Maybe see if you can exchange the light for one with a lower K rating:)

It's personal prefrance,whichever is more pleasing to your eye. In general, lower K ratings mean a more yellow colour, higher the K gets you will see more of a blue/white light.

That's pretty cool. I personally think I'd rather have the blue/white, but how much more expensive was the 18000 K over, say, a 10000 or lower?

As Glenc said, an 1800k bulb won't hurt. I'd use a lower k for your other bulbs.

How many bulbs do you have on the tank? A 3ft high tank would need a lot of light. How long and deep (front to back) is the tank? What type of light/lights do you have. A NO fluorescent won't penetrate that deep. I don't think a VHO would do it either.

Other bulbs?? I only have room for one. The tank came with a light fixture with one 18" bulb in it. Te measurements of the tank are thus:
30" tall X 20" wide X 18" deep (front to back)

What is a VHO?

The 18000K was about $10 more than the 10000K bulb. I do kinda like the look of it, but my wife doesn't. Maybe once the white haze goes away, I will be able to tell better.

Other bulbs?? I only have room for one. The tank came with a light fixture with one 18" bulb in it. Te measurements of the tank are thus:
30" tall X 20" wide X 18" deep (front to back)

What is a VHO?

Oh, I read your original post to say that the tank had a height of 36" ;) :

I went to the LFS, and bought 2 clumps of plants, that are supposed to get up to 72 inches tall (my tank is over 3 feet deep).

Regular fluorescent bulbs are:
NO = normal output
HO = high output
VHO = very high output

The bulbs are NO unless otherwise listed.

Your tank is a 47 column (20x18X30). One 18" T-8 fluorescent bulb is 15 watts which works out to .32WPG. Low light plants take at least 1WPG, more on a deep tank. You'd need more than 50 Watts on the tank, probably 75-100 watts minimum. A 2x36 watt Bright Kits from AH Supply (36 or 55 watt Bright Kits) might work but a 1x36 and a 2x36 would work much better.

I would consider going with a tank that's shallower for plants.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry for the measurement inaccuracy. I was just guessing the first time.

Thanks for the math. I really like having information like that. I am actually starting another small tank for plants, but I really want to have real plants in this tank. Maybe if I save my pennies, I can upgrade the lighting one day.

Back
Top Bottom