Did I make a mistake? What do I do now..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sersee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tank. We have had it for about 5 months. My levels have always been on point. I have different fish in it who all seem to get along great. We keep our water at about 78 degrees. It is filtered with an Aqueon(I'm not sure what kind but it is the appropriate size for my fresh water aquarium). We have a big rock like decoration right in the middle that is hooked up to a tube to have bubbles come out.

We had fish a long time ago and knew some stuff. But I am new to disease and what to do. We have 1 blue ram, 1 gold ram, pic catfish,gourami (dwarf), botia and 3 barbs. They have all been doing well.

We noticed the german blue ram had all these white spots on him when he flared out. He also seems to be getting thin although eating. I noticed the botia had 1-2 white spots and I think I saw one on the barb and catfish.

I went to the aquarium store and they told me it was most likely Ich. I have never dealt with disease before and went by what I was told.

The store told me to raise my heat to 80-82 and use Coppersafe. The box of coppersafe doesn't give a whole lot of instructions. We put the dose in. The box says that it lasts a month.

My water level is down so I am leaving it down to put the extra aeration in for the temp climb. We did take out the carbon on our filter.

But we weren't sure what else to do. I asked the aquarium store if I should do water changes. She said I could but need to add back in the coppersafe. She said I could wait the month for the medication to work.

When I got home , I started to think, what happens if my levels become off and I need to water change? How much copper would I put back in without knowing exactly what is left after the water change? So I googled it and saw all this stuff on google about coppersafe not being so safe and that it will be in my tank forever. Now I am kind of freaking out.

What's done is done. But how do I proceed? How long do I leave the copper safe in before doing a water change? How long before ich goes away? I read that once the spots drop off and the eggs hatch(or something like that) is when the medicine will kill it. Do I just leave my tank alone for a bit?

As I am typing this, my husband doesn't see my blue ram :( I think we may have lost him. I am going to go look in the cave.

Thank you so much for any advice.

Raise the temp to about 86 degrees for a couple weeks. Skip the copper stuff, as you can easily treat ich naturally with heat.

Thanks FWfishtanks...

The copper is already in there. We put it in as soon as we got home . My sick fish is now missing. I cannot find him. Ugh. So I am assuming I need to test my water again. Will the coppersafe do anything to my water readings?

We will go to 86. We are slowly raising it not to shock them. The aquarium store told us a degree per 12 hours?

Back
Top Bottom