did I upgrade??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am using two aqueon mini compact 50/50 10 watt flourescent bulbs in my fixture. My last fixture had one 18" 15 watt t8; I just switched them! Did I upgrade? What lighting intensity am I at with the switch over?
I currently have two anubias nana petite, one javafern, another fully aquatic plant that I can't remember the name of... A crypt (not sure which kind) and I also have a few bunches of dwarf hairgrass that is already sending runners after only a week!!!!

Do you guys think I will see awesome-er amount of growth from the increase in light?

You have the potential for more light with the new fixture, but unfortunately the 50/50 bulbs are intended for salt water setups. It's generally accepted that actinic light is largely unusable by the plants. This means that you've actually decreased the amount of usable light slightly. Further if the bulbs are the kind that are in a spiral, you'll loose some light to restrike (when light hits another part of the bulb and doesn't make it into the aquarium). If you can switch the bulbs over to daylight bulbs (5000K - 10000K) you'll have an increase in light from the previous fixture. Either way I still wouldn't expect to grow much more than low to medium low light plants in the aquarium.

I just bought two 13 watt daylight cfls!!!! Could I have possible hit the
"Medium light" threshold? :D
My light is right on top of my tank, with about 10 inches of depth.

Back
Top Bottom