Different fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mt6571

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have had a 29g tank for about 6 months, we have 7 platies, 3 neon tetras, 2 mollies, 2 puffer peas, 1 danio, 1 kuhli loach, 1 blue gourami, 1 killie. What new varieties would go with our family? Thanks!

Your killifish hasn't attacked any of the others? I think the loaches like to live in groups as do the tetras, 6 or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi mt,
A few problems potentially here.
First, I thought pea puffers are aggressive and recommended 1 per tank
Also, danios and tetras should be kept in larger size groups
I believe your tank is too small for the needs of a kuhli and that they should also be kept in groups
I'm not familiar with killifish. What kind do you have?
If I were you, I would look to increase the number of tetras and danios, assuming they're the smaller size ones, trade the loach for a group of cories.
I know it's interesting to have a lot of different fish but we are responsible for making sure that we provide them with the best environment for them. Good luck!

Hi mt,
A few problems potentially here.
First, I thought pea puffers are aggressive and recommended 1 per tank
Also, danios and tetras should be kept in larger size groups
I believe your tank is too small for the needs of a kuhli and that they should also be kept in groups
I'm not familiar with killifish. What kind do you have?
If I were you, I would look to increase the number of tetras and danios, assuming they're the smaller size ones, trade the loach for a group of cories.
I know it's interesting to have a lot of different fish but we are responsible for making sure that we provide them with the best environment for them. Good luck!

+1 on this.

Have you noticed any aggression or conflict amongst the species in your tank?

We were told 2 puffers would be fine, we have had them for 2 months & have seen no problem. The kuhli loach hides for the most part, but when out again have seen no problem. We were told Killie was shy, he hangs at top & haven't seen him aggressive but have had him only a week. We had 8 tetras & 4 danios at the beginning, haven't replaced as we lose them.

it is a golden killifish. As far as aggression in the tank, for the most part no but here & there a little chasing. We try to ask & make sure when we get fish that they are suitable for our tank. We were told we couldn't mix tetras & they still school together, neons only hang with neons etc. Is this true?

What are your water parameters. Tetras like acidic water and neons are not the hardiest fish. Another thing schooling is often done as a defense mechanism and will be done if they feel threatened. I have black neons and they only school if my German Rams are spawning because they are a bit cranky towards everyone. Normally my tetras swim in pairs or by them self.

I can't offer any more info about the puffers or killifish as I have no experience with either only that they are both often kept in species only tanks

Also id see if your local store can take the kuhli back as they need larger groups and I'd advise smaller bottom fish like corys.

Aphyosemion australe? Its a non annual killifish. It will only live a few years. Annual killifish live maybe 1 year sometimes less. People at the pet stores don't always know what they are talking about so its always good to do your own research and not rely on them. If I had a quarter for every time I have been in a pet shop and heard the wrong info I would be rich. Usually I get much better advice on this forum but everything should be researched thoroughly even after 3 people on here tell you the same thing.

We haven't seen any aggression among different species, platies chase each other now & then & the tetras. The killi seems at this point to be shy, wants to stay by himself mainly at top.

Aphyosemion australe? Its a non annual killifish. It will only live a few years. Annual killifish live maybe 1 year sometimes less. People at the pet stores don't always know what they are talking about so its always good to do your own research and not rely on them. If I had a quarter for every time I have been in a pet shop and heard the wrong info I would be rich. Usually I get much better advice on this forum but everything should be researched thoroughly even after 3 people on here tell you the same thing.

Tell me about it. I have a big commercial store that I actually get good info out of one of the girls there. I choose which staff member I often deal with as I've learnt from spending so much time in there who I can trust.
There's two lfs a little bit further away from me but they seem to be ok there's one guy there at one of them that I can't trust. Once watched him sell a lady and her child a single yoyo loach for the kids guppy tank. Never heard him ask gravel bottom, school size...

You can mix tetras in the same tank, but they'll have a tendency to stick with their own kind especially if the coloration isn't similar. They stay more tight when they feel less secure but certain types can go fine together, just check to see if they will be nippy etc.
I know that the people at the pet store are supposed to give good advice, but unfortunately that's not always the case. I like to do my own research and then talk with the people at the store to see if they confirm what I've looked up or seem to say whatever I "want to hear" or they make up an answer if they're not sure. I've encountered all types. Forums like this are a good way to get feedback too, but same thing goes. Some people are more experienced or take time to research and others may not.
Any advice I offer is merely based on my own experience, it's not meant to judge you or tell you what you're doing is wrong, just to give you info based on what I've seen/done/read.
Same with any pet. We could put a rabbit, a ferret, a sugar glider, and a chipmunk in one cage but it doesn't always make sense for the animal or work out. I would look more to increase the group sizes of what you already have rather than diversify with more species, only because I believe it's in the best interest of the fish and less likely to cause problems in the long run. I wouldn't want to see you develop territorial or aggression issues that cause you to lose fish!
When fish have a natural propensity to school or shoal, not being able to do so means they will be more likely to be stressed and more prone to illness or less natural behaviors.

The puffers will need brackish water when they mature. Its sad people sell these and dont tell people their actual care needs. They can only be in all fresh water when young, but as they mature, they need salt to live.

Thanks for all info, I do not take any as personal attack :) My research on the puffer peas was that FW was fine, I'm learning too that research can be endless & find multiple responses. It is frustrating. I do have a locally owned store & they seem more knowledgeable, they were the ones who recommended dwarf puffer peas, as we were looking for a green puffer that we seen at Walmart in FW. They said those were salt but dwarfs would be fine, I did research to back that up. Although I have a friend who has green puffer FW for years & has been fine, sooooooo :confused:

The thin you have to remember is that most staff at fish stores are out to make a profit. They will often tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. I've seen it, I always research before going in on what I'm interested in and then ask them for their opinion an yes I have questioned their logic and pulled them up for misinformation.

BRENNAE the killifish I have is a Aplocheilus Lineatus, my research shows a shy passive fish & after a week seems to describe him perfectly :)

Cool! Did you buy him at the fish store or from someone local?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom