Different grades of sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynnCeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been following the threads for changing CC substrate over to sand, and have grown a bit confused. There are several grades of sand out there, as well as the HD stuff. Most of these sand particles are fine, <.5mm-1mm,correct--give or take a mm or two? My CC is more like gravel, which I wouldn't mind switching out, but am concerned about harming the fish I already have in my tank with all the cloudy silt that seems to be a side effect of switching to sand. What's this "special reef grade" stuff? Is it like my CC substrate? (Don't want it, if so!)

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7326&N=2004+113554

At any rate, if I decide to change, what size sand particles should I be using for this switch over?? and what care should I take with the fish that are in there now?

I have a 125g, with ~150lbs of LR, and ~125lbs of CC. Numbers: 8.3pH, 1.023 SG, 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, 20 Nitrates. (These numbers have been stable for at least 8 mos., no matter what I do--PWC's, which I do weekly, along with a vacuum of the substrate; adding a new fish; even after a feeding, which I do every other day or so. I even just added a couple of mesh bags of Purigen, but so far, no drop in the nitrates. )

I have one 3" lawnmower blenny, six 1" green chromis, and one 3" coral beauty, along with a bunch of snails and crabs.

Any help, suggestions, or advice is always appreciated!

I tried the special grade reef sand in my 29 gallon and hated it. After a while, the bigger pieces just sifted to the top and it ended up being just like CC...trapped stuff that was causing high nitrates. I switched to the Aragamax Sand that Scott linked, and I love it! It's the perfect size, IMO. A little expensive...but nice.

Just keep in mind that the smaller the particle size the easier it will be to move around and blow around your tank I got the larger size sand particles so it would be harder to move around the tank. I used the same sand Scott and Lindsay were talking about.

I have that exact sand in my tank - 46g bowfront. I have to say I've had no issues with it. Nitrates are at zero. I've vacuumed it a little a couple months ago, but that was after 6 months of being up and running. Looks-wise, I think I might've preferred a smaller diameter sand, but the size variation of the "special reef grade" stuff is very minimal: 1.0 to 1.7mm in diameter. To me, it all looks pretty uniform in size.

Just another opinion to confuse the issue!

Back
Top Bottom