Dirt!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
today I will be dirting my 29gal with organic soil. does anyone have any advice or tips, things I need to do before I put it in? ive seen some people strain it to get the big stuff out is this necessary?

Did you soak the dirt in a bucket? Its not required, but it might prevent an Algae Bloom when your tank gets started.

Look up 'mineralising' soil before putting into the tank. The process helps keep algae blooms and major changes in levels away. This is not entirely necessary but if you have an up and running tank your changing it might be worth a look.

Try to get a good cap on the dirt, and don't play with it too much once your finished, or you will just end up frustrated with a load of mixed soil and gravel/sand.

I would wash it through before putting it in. I've had an issue with bugs and stuff in organic soil before for my terrariums. I don't know if those could live in water or not, but washing never hurts.

What brand are you getting?

ive been cycling my tank (fishless) so its been set up. im just adding dirt since I couldnt when I started.

I have a bunch of swords would those work. cause I think someone told me the suck up a lot of nutriens

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom