Dirted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebennett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have heard that you can do a planted tank with miricle gro and play sand how would i put that in the tank

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just bought the Amazonia ADA baked dirt. I put it in an established tank and covered it with sand I bought from my LFS. It was a big job. But the result is beautiful. I can't wait to see the results in my plants from all this hard work I put in.

You would need to get an Organic Potting Soil. Any brand is fine but many use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix. You add about 1-1/2 to 2 inches dry, moisten lightly (do not get it wet as you cap layer can sink into overly wet soil), then add the same amount of cap.

I have a friend who uses the ADA soil bricks and really likes them a lot. You would just cut them to fit the tank, he added some water then to let them absorb it and expand for a few days, then added his cap and planted.

Do these soils lower the PH of the tank?

You can supposedly keep a tank with a lower PH by adding peat moss as a first layer. I guess if you wanted the dirt to lower your PH you could ask at your local nursery for some acidic soil that is organic or maybe use alot more peat moss. If you are concerned about dirted tanks bringing down the PH then you can just add crushed coral or sea shells to your filter media and this will help raise the PH again. I just bought cheap organic potting mix and went ahead with layering it as Rivercats suggested (I followed her advice a few months back when i started out with planting) and i've had great success with flourishing plants.

You can supposedly keep a tank with a lower PH by adding peat moss as a first layer. I guess if you wanted the dirt to lower your PH you could ask at your local nursery for some acidic soil that is organic or maybe use alot more peat moss. If you are concerned about dirted tanks bringing down the PH then you can just add crushed coral or sea shells to your filter media and this will help raise the PH again. I just bought cheap organic potting mix and went ahead with layering it as Rivercats suggested (I followed her advice a few months back when i started out with planting) and i've had great success with flourishing plants.

Yes I am aware that peat moss lowers and crushed coral raises PH. I was just curious whether other soils reduce PH. Im not really interested about using soil in the aquarium I was just interested if these soils lower PH or if it was strictly peat moss :)

Thanks

Yes I am aware that peat moss lowers and crushed coral raises PH. I was just curious whether other soils reduce PH. Im not really interested about using soil in the aquarium I was just interested if these soils lower PH or if it was strictly peat moss :)

Thanks

It's possible that it will. Some soils contain organic materials that will release tannins in the water which would cause the pH to drop slightly.

I just did a tank on Christmas with mg organic potting mix and playsand. The sand was a pain to wash but after only paying $2.50 Well you just can't beat it! I can't wait to see how the plants do in the next couple of months in there!

HEY GUYS.
Been watching dustins fish tanks for some time now. Bought his dirted tank guide but I'm a bit wary about what dirt to get in australia. Anyone recommend one I can get at perhaps a bunnings or local garden store?
Got a massive ghost knife and some expensive cichlids so don't want to take risks killing them!
BRADGA

Sent from my C6903 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of cichlids do you have? If they dig you don't want to do a dirted tank.

Back
Top Bottom