dirting an established tank question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I really want to put dirt into my 55 but I'm very concerned that the possible ammonia spike will kill my fish. The questions I have is this. If dirt needs time to leach ammonia under water, why can't I just put it in a bucket of water for a month. I would change the water daily to help it leach. Then after that I could put it in my tank cap it and bam no ammonia spikes in my tank! This seems like common sense to me but I haven't heard of anyone doing this. Tell me what you guys think of this idea.

Dirt + water = mud. Its just a big huge mess and the dirt needs to be relatively dry when going into the tank for the first time.

In a cycled tank i honestly wouldnt worry about ammonia spikes. You could definitely get some excess nitrates though. Just test once or twice a day after the switch for a week or two and you will be fine.

I set up a planted tank with a dirt substrate about four months back. I didn't have any problems with ammonia spikes but I was doing water 50% water changes a couple of time a week for the first two or three weeks. Before you decide to try a dirt substrate I highly recommend that you read Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad.

I should mention that my situation was a bit different to yours as I was starting with a brand new set up. That said I did add 8 juvenile Melanotaenia Lacustris into it after the first week without any problems. The only real issue I had in the first 8 weeks or so was a brown slime algae and clouding of the water. This I fixed by introducing an Albino Bristlenose Pleco for the slime. To fix the clouding I added a water clarification product (flocculant) and some in-tank filtration.

100168-albums14356-picture68801.jpg

Last edited:
Dirt + water = mud. Its just a big huge mess and the dirt needs to be relatively dry when going into the tank for the first time.

In a cycled tank i honestly wouldnt worry about ammonia spikes. You could definitely get some excess nitrates though. Just test once or twice a day after the switch for a week or two and you will be fine.

First u want to put dry dirt it in. Then u want to wet it just a little. After, cap it with The substrate of your liking. Put paper towel across the tank from side to side so the water doesn't trash the sand and dirt and make a huge mess.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Okay thanks for the advise I do have another quick question. How many quarts of dirt should I buy for my 55. My lowes has 32 quart bags in stock and I am wondering how many I'm going to need to buy.

Okay thanks for the advise I do have another quick question. How many quarts of dirt should I buy for my 55. My lowes has 32 quart bags in stock and I am wondering how many I'm going to need to buy.

U only need an inch at the most. With dirt, less is the key.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ok great! And I assume an inch in a half to two inches of gravel?

Below is a photo taken as I was adding the "dirt" to the aquarium. I did things a little differently in that I placed a layer of course river sand down first so that I could build the substrate up at the back of the tank by an inch or two. Next I added a mix consisting of about 3/4 of a 25 litre bag Miracle-Gro Organic Choice garden compost (compost with no fertilizer), some river sand and a 1 kg bag of Trill Shell grit (to help neutralize the acidification of the organic matter and for a source of CO2). In the photo you can see that I've added it in "pads" (of about an inch thick) to help keep the thickness the same across a sloping base. After that I filled in between and then topped it with about another inch of course river sand.

During the first 12 weeks or so there was a fair amount of gas bubbling up from the substrate. Its now settled down and the plants seem to be growing well.

100168-albums14356-picture68814.jpg

Back
Top Bottom