Dirty glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe-turbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a black moor goldfish in quite a small tank. The rena superclean 40 filter seems to be doing a good job as the water seems very clear. I have noticed that the glass seems to get a bit mucky though, is this normal?

Thought the filter would stop that?

I have a black moor goldfish in quite a small tank. The rena superclean 40 filter seems to be doing a good job as the water seems very clear. I have noticed that the glass seems to get a bit mucky though, is this normal?

Thought the filter would stop that?

Can you describe the muck?

Is it brown or brownish? If so, it's probably brown algae (diatoms).

If so, it isn't harmful to your fish, just unsightly. Scrape it off the glass/decorations with a scrub pad appropriate for your type of tank (glass or acrylic) and gravel vacuum to remove it from your substrate.

Filters don't to much of anything to control brown algae.

*edit* on the app and should have read further before I posted the first time. I agree that more information is needed about tank size, inhabitants, etc before we can make informed recommendations. :)

Last edited:
severum mama said:
I see where you are coming from here, but the OP has mentioned that the black moor is in 'quite a small tank,' so I would hesitate to recommend additions to the tank's bioload. Once we have some more information, it will be easier to suggest some options.

Yes you are right, i consider a small tank to be a 10 gallon but i realize other people have different standards. Thank you for pointing out my mistake! :)

That was my fault, honestly. I got ahead of myself and didn't pay attention to all of your post. I edited my original post after re-reading it because you had already mentioned the potential size issue. Apologies. ;)

severum mama said:
That was my fault, honestly. I got ahead of myself and didn't pay attention to all of your post. I edited my original post after re-reading it because you had already mentioned the potential size issue. Apologies. ;)

No worries. if i had only waited a second before posting i would have seen that you edited your post. lol :)

I'm not 100% sure on size, I think it's a 5gallon? See pic

image-3789339493.jpg

The much looks a brownish colour. Just wondered what the easiest way of keeping it clean was

The tank look bigger than 5 gallons to me and honestly your tank looks like it is holding no water, because of how clear it is

I'm not 100% sure on size, I think it's a 5gallon?
The much looks a brownish colour. Just wondered what the easiest way of keeping it clean was

Using the cigarette lighter for scale, it looks like it may well be a 5 gallon. If the muck is brownish, it is likely diatoms. Simply scrape it off the glass and decorations with a scrub pad (I keep one I use for no other purpose) and use a gravel vacuum to remove it from the gravel.

Long-term, your moor is going to need a larger tank in order to thrive. The general consensus seems to be 20 gallons, minimum, for a single black moor.

Good luck!

Im very new to the world of fish keeping, dragged in by my partner that I now live with.

It sounds like the muck is brown algae, is there any way to prevent this build up or jut a case of cleaning it off once and a while? I do have a water magnet thing but it don't seem to work that well. I will google the gravel vacuum, any other must haves to make fish keeping easier?

I must say, if this is a 5gallon tank. A 20gallon (4times the size), for one fish seems a bit like over kill?

Im very new to the world of fish keeping, dragged in by my partner that I now live with.

It sounds like the muck is brown algae, is there any way to prevent this build up or jut a case of cleaning it off once and a while? I do have a water magnet thing but it don't seem to work that well. I will google the gravel vacuum, any other must haves to make fish keeping easier?

I must say, if this is a 5gallon tank. A 20gallon (4times the size), for one fish seems a bit like over kill?

Would it sound like overkill if I told you that black moors easily grow to 6 inches, often longer, of body length alone not including tail finnage?

Because they do. :)

There are chemicals to treat brown algae, but I personally try to keep my tank as chemical free as I can -- and brown algae is fairly easy to remove.

In terms of must-haves, the gravel vacuum is one, and a good water test kit (I like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit) is right up there.

Best!

Joe-turbo said:

It's a matter of looking at the future needs of your fish. Fish like anything else will grow & need more space. I have 5 Betta fish & I ignorantly kept 3 of them in 1g aquariums for months where as the other 2 were in a 10g with 2 Chinese Algae Eaters from day one. I moved 3 female Bettas & the 2 CAE's into a 46g thinking it would be too big, my fish are actually MORE active which I LOVE! The other 2 Male Bettas went into the 2 10g tanks & they couldn't be more happy, I have NEVER seen the one so active. This is my experience & my opinion, if you want a happy fish go bigger as suggested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom