Dirty tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I like to own a clean tank, like everyone els. And i have seen many saltwater reef tanks and they all seem to have tons of crud and algea on the back wall! I am starting a saltwater tank and i do not want this to happen. Is there any way to prevent it? Thanks

If you keep your rock far enough from the back, you can use the standard algae scrapers and magfloats to keep it clean.

Yes. Proper research, equipment, and planning. It is entirely up to you. A lot of that "crud and algae" on the back wall is coralline algae and something that is welcomed in most reef tanks. Google and the search function on this site are your friends. ;)

Ohh okay thanks.. Is it hard to remove?? Because the back wall always looks very very dirty

HN1 said:
Yes. Proper research, equipment, and planning. It is entirely up to you. A lot of that "crud and algae" on the back wall is coralline algae and something that is welcomed in most reef tanks. Google and the search function on this site are your friends. ;)

Thanks! Google is never as good as AA.. I get much better answers here! Thanks

No. If you clean your tank properly, it won't be a problem.

Wait what?! They want their back wall to be covered in algea? For the BB or what?

In many cases, the tank is clear, and behind the back wall is a plethora of wires and other undersireables. When the coraline covers it up, you can't see all of the equipment and it looks more natural, as if its part of the reef.

I have a corner tank, and it looks like a triangle. The two side walls are painted blue, but I can not wait to have them covered in coraline as well as my overflow, just so it "blends" into the reef and looks more natural.

Wait what?! They want their back wall to be covered in algea? For the BB or what?

Coralline algae is considered a good thing because the pretty pink coloring is better then seeing black plastic (i.e. overflow box, powerheads etc) - particularly in a reef tank when you're trying to look as natural as possible.

Additionally (and these are someone else's words, not mine)
In summary the advantages of coralline algae are that it outgrows the nuisance algae. The healthier the coralline algae growth, the less likely the nuisance algae will grow. Corallines also add lots of color to the aquarium and help to build up a reef tank. It is not the coral that form the reef, it is the coralline algae that cements the particles together thus building the reef.

Oh, and as far as I know, there is no real benefit other than the asthetics of it.

If you want the back wall of your tank plan ahead and make sure you can reach the back without falling in. I am short and even when I am on a stool I have problems reaching far enough and keep it clean. Now I just let it get coraline algae on it.

Hahaha oh reaching it wouldnt be a problem ;) i will let it grow and see how i like it, because i also like it when its clean! Thanks!

Whenever I want some coraline off of my glass, I just take my razor to it. With a couple of scrapes, it comes right off.

I love coraline on the back side of my tank, but I don't like it growing on the glass, in the way of my view :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom