Disappearing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbm555

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post. I have been reading the posts here for a long time but I always use the search function and have always found my answers there.

Over the last 2 years I have had 3 fish just disappear. So, my question is this. Where are my fish going?

I have a 29 gal that has been set up for nearly 2 years. In that time I've had a few fish die but nothing epidemic. I mostly attribute it to old age. Since it is always one fish at a time and always a fish that I have had for a long time.

The first one that just "disappeared" was a guppy that about a month after my tank had cycled and I had started adding a couple of new fish every 2 to three weeks. He just disappeared. Never found a trace of him. The next fish to disappear was a Glow Light Tetra. My 2 year old found him when I moved the tank about 2 months ago. He was all dried up behind the bookcase next to the aquarium. Yesterday I was doing a 30% water change (I do this every 7 to 10 days) and noticed that my dwarf pleco was missing. I had removed all of the artifical plants and decorations for rinsing off so there was nothing in the tank. I'm sure he's gone. He was large enough to spot on the floor and the aquarium is now on a wall by it's self.

I do a head count every night when I feed the fish but I never count the pleco since he's always hidden and only comes out at night.

I usually check the parameters of my water right before I do a PWC. and they are always the same. Amonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are at the lowest levels. The PH is consistently 8. I tried to lower it when I was first establishing this aquarium but it kept going back up to 8 so I have just left it alone. I use the AP testing kits.

Current fish in the aquarium
1 Blue Ram
1 Albino Corey
1 Dwarf Gourami (blue with red stripes can't remember what kind it is)
5 neon tetras
5 glow light tetras

Anyone have any idea of where my fish are going when they disappear?

Welcome to AA, or glad you got to posting finally.

Fish can hide away and if they get trapped, that is the end of them sometimes. Also if they die, other fish will take advantage of the situation and make an easy meal out of a dead fish.

Welcome to AA!!!

You'd be surprised how fast fish can skeletonize a dead tankmate - especially a small one. I suppose that the bones drop into the substrate or get sucked up into the filter. I've had my fair share of without-a-trace disappearances.

Welcome to aa!!

When you listed your fish. I noited that you had a blue ram and gramie. if i am thinking right those fish can be more on the aggressive side. So they could be picking on the smaller ones and also making a meal out of the deal. :(

Thanks for all of the replies. I had suspected that they may have been eaten but I never thought they had the time to do it.

The ram and gourami were added at the same time. They never bother anyone. When I added them I had a betta that didn't like either one of them and had to give him away.

Back
Top Bottom