Discoloured plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone advise me why my plants are black at the ends? I only have platy in and as there are frequently new additions despite removing some I try to keep the numbers down as it’s only a 14 gallon tank

C28F94D3-F536-48B0-9E6F-F12798AC5F7D.jpg

Black spots on java ferm like that can be caused by a nitrogen deficiency. Also possibly leaf burn from too much light. It does look quite close to the surface. Can you turn down the light intensity or move the plant further away from the light fixture?

Thanks for the advice, not sure I can turn the light down as it only has that or the blue light and there are some fry in there which I thought needed the light. Sorry I’m a complete novice and can’t seem to get it all right despite having a few generations of fish

You could try sticking strips of black tape over the light fitting at that end. So its like hit and miss. That will reduce the light output above where the plant is.

Aiken Drum, would that be black electrical tape? I would like to lessen the intensity of some bulbs around here but don't want to use something that will either melt from bulb heat or release gluey chemicals into the water.

Aiken Drum, would that be black electrical tape? I would like to lessen the intensity of some bulbs around here but don't want to use something that will either melt from bulb heat or release gluey chemicals into the water.
Its not something ive actually done. Just something ive seen recommended a time or two.

Eg. https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/algae-issue-question-377531.html#post3565024

If it where me i would go with duct tape as its water and heat resistant. Electrical tape is just heat resistant. But people use electrical tape just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom