Discus fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know a lot about them but would love to have some. I'm so interested in them but just need more info, so if anyone can help it would be awesome

They're not the easiest but not the hardest fish to keep. Generally they like soft water (but some people keep them in alkaline water as well), high temperatures, big tanks (I would say 55 bare minimum for a proper shoal of five), and nice peaceful tank mates, like rummynose tetras or sterbai cories.

Well I have 4 angels then just my bottom dwellers, 2 peacock eels, featherfin catfish, and dinosaur birchir. Think I could keep a few?

U can keep ur angels w/ them n that will be it, u can put rummy nose, cardinals, sterbai corys, u also can put dwarf cichlids such as apistos, rams. I have 2 discus in my 55 w/ 14 cardinals, 2 angels, 8 apistos, 1 ram, 2 sterbai n 1 panda.
I'll post some pictures so u can have an idea.

Awesome. If I were to get any with the tank list I have(earlier in the thread) I wouldn't be planning on adding anything else.

Discus usually like temperatures about 82-86, I keep my at 86, u have to make sure ur water levels are good, the best thing to do is to buy them in groups of 3 or more, make sure u have hiding spots where they can hide because they won't do very well w/ out them, such as big live plants, drift wood.

I've had some minor trouble with angelfish and discus in the past, but with a 55 gal tank I think you're good. the rainbow shark and bottom dwellers should be ok.

This is the tank currently. Any changes you think should be made? I'm planning on some more plants and there is also some moss balls now. I want a ram to if possible, maybe 2...

I said I wasn't planning on adding anything past the discus but I'm so interested in the rams. I like how the rams and discus actually take care of their young

Bully405Customz said:
I said I wasn't planning on adding anything past the discus but I'm so interested in the rams. I like how the rams and discus actually take care of their young

Many people have success with rams and discus. As for parenting, rams are the worst, they take forever to mate and then usually eat their eggs IMo

So it's in agreement that it would be okay to get 4 discus and 2 rams with the the other fish that are already in it? My friend wants a few of my fish so it will only be: 4 angels, 2 peacock eels, 1 dinosaur birchir, 1 featherfin catfish, and 1 Cory?

U should only keep the Angels n Cory, those r the only ones that will do really good at discus temperature

Those r my 2 discus, I have 1 golden marlboro checkerboard, blue discus, ram n 2 angels, I'm getting a new discus in the weekend so I'll post more pics n some more plants.

Attachments

• image-2833425541.jpg
    image-2833425541.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1143370497.jpg
    image-1143370497.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1475453962.jpg
    image-1475453962.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image-782794242.jpg
    image-782794242.jpg