Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashlaloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently got a 25g tank. It's 24in long, 13in wide, and 19in deep. I found a site that sells gorgeous juvie Discus and have read online that if you get them young they're less likely to bully each other. I've done lots of research and have read articles about larger tanks and some about people who have kept discus in 20g tanks. I'm up for the work small discus require but I'd also like some insight.

I would only suggest 1 discus for a 25 gallon, although you can have at most 2. I have seen multiple people keep them solo although they are made to be kept in groups of 5 or more. They are very sensitive, but they are not as hard to take care of as it actually seems. Just make sure to do water changes every day or every other day, and monitor you're toxins closely.Some people might say it is not necessary to do water changes everyday, it is true, but it's all depending on how big you're tank is to control the bioload, on how many fish you are expecting to get, how young they are and also what type of filtration.

25G is too small for any more than a single discus...I've had no experience in keeping a single discus though sorry, mine seem much happier in a group though...

25G is too small for any more than a single discus...I've had no experience in keeping a single discus though sorry, mine seem much happier in a group though...
The rule for discus is usually 10 gallons per discus, but I would preferably stick to the 15 gallon per discus rule.

The rule for discus is usually 10 gallons per discus, but I would preferably stick to the 15 gallon per discus rule.

True, I'd be concerned trying to keep discus in small tanks like that though due to the small size increasing water parameter fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom