Disinfecting syphon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my fish died yesterday and I wasn't sure why. I took it out and left it in the net in my bucket of supplies overnight because it was late at night and I planned on dealing with it in the morning. Today when I took it out there were worms crawling all over it >.< a problem that I thought I got rid of a long time ago. I was going to clean my tank but I found the worms had gotten on to my syphon. I got all the parasites off but I'm worried about using the syphon to clean my other tank because I don't want to introduce the parasite. I put in hot water for a minute to try and disinfect it but removed it because the plastic was starting to feel soft. What are other ways that I can disinfect it that wont be harmful to the fish and have I already ruined it somehow?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

One of my fish died yesterday and I wasn't sure why. I took it out and left it in the net in my bucket of supplies overnight because it was late at night and I planned on dealing with it in the morning. Today when I took it out there were worms crawling all over it >.< a problem that I thought I got rid of a long time ago. I was going to clean my tank but I found the worms had gotten on to my syphon. I got all the parasites off but I'm worried about using the syphon to clean my other tank because I don't want to introduce the parasite. I put in hot water for a minute to try and disinfect it but removed it because the plastic was starting to feel soft. What are other ways that I can disinfect it that wont be harmful to the fish and have I already ruined it somehow?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Perhaps sitting the siphon on boiling water? Boiling water will kill most bugs.

For future reference, it's good practice to have separate equipment for each tank. Maybe use a colour coding system. That way you don't have to worry about transferring bacteria/parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom