Distilled vs RO Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is either one better for my tank? I am still in the planning states, have all my equipment but I can't decide on which water to use.

I need some recommendations please.

Thanks!

I think it just comes down to cost effectiveness.. where were you planning to get distilled water from?

Thanks, I was going to get it from WalMart or a gorcery store.

the water that i get from walmart is ro water...it says it right on the culligan distributor in the store (.33/gallon)

the water that i get from walmart is ro water...it says it right on the culligan distributor in the store (.33/gallon)
What type of container do you use ? My initial fill of 30 gallons is what I am concerned about. Water changes and top off won't be to bad (~3 to 5 gallons).

Check with your lfs that might let you borrow a few jugs (usually if you get their water, though). You'll find out who is willing to be good friends and work with you.

Have at least 10 gallons worth of jugs on hand for your size tank. I've got 20 gallon worth of jugs and 10 gallon worth of buckets (bought at HD) to keep close at hand (for emergencies and water changes). Mark all of them for fish water and warn anyone else who may think to use them. Just some advice from experience.

i bought 2 5gal containers at the machine and it only cost me 9.90 in water to fill my tank and your right if u keep your containers full than topoffs and small water changes wont be bad at all especially if u already have one on had that u have full all the time. the 5 gal containers where like 5 dollars a peice but the lady at the cash register didnt charge me cause i guess she thought that i brought my own and i didnt realize it till i got home and saw my reciept so i got my containers free

I have tried using a tap water purifier here, which hasn't worked out for me. I can't have an RO unit as I'm on a water meter & it would be way too expensive!

I have read in one of my books that distilled water is actually better than RO water? My wife can get proper distilled water in 25litre containers for a reasonable price (UK!) So I presume I can use this & just add my instant ocean salt, then air pump/heat it for a couple of days before use? I don't need big quantities of water as I only have a 30gal tank.....

<EDIT>

On checking the container its actually deionised water rather than destilled? This is better yes?

ONe question would be it states " this water should not be used for human or animal consumption nor should it be used in anything that will be used for human or animal consumption"

this is the same for all deionised water though? & the fsh don't drink it?? I also beleive right or wrongly that RO units produce deionised water?

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom