Distilled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mghslowell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i have been back and forth with the decision of using distilled water for top offs and water changes. the cost doesnt affect me. but what i am reading from other sites ect does.

they say since " Absolutely use filtered water: either R/O or de-ionized, (but NOT distilled) water for your top off water! Do not use distilled water since it may kill an entire reef. Because distilled water has lost all of its minerals and anything else it might have, the water molecules will bond with the fish/invertebrates that have these minerals that were lost by the water. "

is this true ? does anyone have any experience using distilled water? thinking of getting a ro/di system but later on that will come, any help ? TIA

looking to lower my No3 and Phosphates thx !

yes... distilled water with add no benefit or help to you... it is vitually useless.... it has no nutrients, and the fish would probably do better with tap water, treated of course

ok well my quest is getting my n03 down i tested my tap water and its reading 0ppm but my tank is at 20 ppm. i recently started doing more frequent water changes and before it was near 40ppm i have about 70 lbs lr in a 55g tank. my protein skimmer broke about 4 months ago so no skimming was done only filtration method was the LR would skimming bring down my no3?

just tested my ammonia its at .50 i just did a water change about a week ago should i do another? any advice on the situation ?

Mghslowell said:
Because distilled water has lost all of its minerals and anything else it might have, the water molecules will bond with the fish/invertebrates that have these minerals that were lost by the water. "

is this true ?

This part does not make since to me. The minerals in water are simply in solution - a physical mixing of water and dissolved minerals. The presence or lack of these minerals would not make the water chemically reactive and therefore the water should not "bond" to any critter.

There is nothing wrong with using distilled water to either top your reef off or use it as your main salt "mixing" water.

Overall, people don't use it because of the expense and the fact that it is a very slow process to distill water in the first place. The water that you see for sale in Grocery stores where you can fill up your own jug right there is normally distilled water. Several people use this water because they don't have their own RO/DI unit.

My advice would be to purchase an RO/DI unit and make your own water. Not only is it cheaper in the long run but you won't have to make trips to the grocery store to get water every time you need it.

Why do you have an elevated ammonia reading at all? I assume this isn't a new tank since you said your skimmer broke 4 months ago so your ammonia should be zero.

well.. i had my tank for about 4 years now, i got lazy and only did top offs instead of water changes i say every 5 months or so . so i think its all build up and my protein skimmer broke getting one monday hasnt worked in about 5 months either

mushrooms doing better since water changes and SG leveling

Ok update my ammonia is .50
nitrite .25
nitrate .20

sure tis is caused my lack of care on my tank, no water changes in 5 months and no prottein skimmer in 6 months. any help would be appreciate getting new skimmer monday and doing 15 percent water changes once a week now, till my skimmer gets here.

only filtration is about 70 lbs of LR and a 3inch sand bed. with LS i just installed my biowheel as well. fish are doing well and my inverts seem to be ok.

The first 8 years of my tank were with distilled water. I have since bought my RO/DI unit. I AM FREE

Back
Top Bottom