distilled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msamsonz28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have experience using distilled water from a delivery service such as water.com? I can't hook up a RO/DI unit in my apartment and I'm getting tired of running to the grocery store and dragging 10 gallons of water up three flights of stairs. Plus the acme occasionally runs out of distilled and I have to go searching. I'm sure it would cost more but for convenience it might be worth it.

I'd really really look into those delivered waters before doing anything. Don't just trust what some salesman says. From my experience, most - if not all - of those delivered bottled waters are not just distilled or RO/DI water. They're "purified" water, but they're intended for drinking. Purified drinking water starts out as distilled water, but then they add back in chemicals/minerals to make the water taste better, just like any bottled water.

Why can't you hook up a ro/di unit? There are converters for kitchen faucets which you could hook up to.

I was not aware there were converters. I'll look into that. How does it work? attach to the faucet and turn the water on?

Yes, usually you just unscrew the original cap on the faucet and the converter hooks right up to it. The ones sold on Ebay often come with the converter for free or for a nominal price.

Mine came with an adapter to my water hose which I use in my tool shed. The point being that they have all kind of adapters. Esp for kitchen sinks as Micah alluded to.

I thought I read somewhere that distilled water may contain traces of copper which may be harmful to the fish.

FWIW I've read posts in the past where people have found ammonia and/or nitrite present in distilled water from grocery stores. If you can't get an RO unit, running some test and asking the company would be a good idea to be sure it's OK.

MT79 said:
FWIW I've read posts in the past where people have found ammonia and/or nitrite present in distilled water from grocery stores. If you can't get an RO unit, running some test and asking the company would be a good idea to be sure it's OK.

I plan on going out to the store and buying a small bottle of distilled water and testing it. I also plan on testing the tap water at home as well. It's scary to know these things exist in the water we drink.

That is why after buying my RO/DI unit I fill all of our drinking water up from the unit...I got the splitter option for mine it had a dedicated hose just for our drinking water. MMM MMM Good!!

pinda said:
I thought I read somewhere that distilled water may contain traces of copper which may be harmful to the fish.

It will have traces of copper from the copper tubing they use in the manufacturing of distilled water. I used Food lion distilled water and between them saying they did not use copper tubing and my testing I was satisfied. Been using RO/DI water last two years.

Back
Top Bottom