DIY Aquarium Ornaments and Caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubblychaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey!

So Ive been looking into making some ornaments for aquariums and some caves too!

Ive read alot about using polymer clay or normal clay which is used to make terracotta earthenware as long as it is heated in a kiln. Anyone got any experience here?

Looking at some ornaments, most ornaments are made from polyresin.. is this polyester resin or Polyurethane Resin, does anyone know?

I also heard someone say they put lightweight garden ornaments in their aquarium?? I dont even know how that'd work because arent most garden ornaments made from cement like Portland cement which I doubt is submersible.

What im looking at doing is making some caves and things from clay,
But then also making latex moulds of ornaments and things and then using a polyresin or something for ornaments.

Polyurethane seems to be more like an ornament casting product
polyester seems to be more like a glass/plastic casting product.
Unless im missing something?

I looked at epoxy resin too and that seems to be a glass/plastic resin too.

Im looking for something similar outcome to what a cup or pot or one of those paint your own money box things you can buy where its like a ceramic and then you paint.
0252781_l.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

Hi, welcome to AA :)

I've only used clay pots from hardware stores. Possible terracotta. No issues.

From memory someone was looking to use potter's clay to make a filter and I asked my bother who works with clay. He thought it should be fine (the clay, not the use as a filter).

Anything which leaches chemicals I think may be a concern.

I would honestly make them out of cement. It leeches for a while but the main concern with it is pH change. It will skyrocket your ph for a month or two but after that its safe.

Many people make 3d backgrounds by carving foam and painting cement onto it (myself included)

Cement is even used to make live rock for reef tanks.

YdYWCCV.jpg

Thats my attempt at it. I don't have the tank up and running yet because im going to be moving soon and im not quite happy with the look.

Back
Top Bottom