DIY Co2 - Lots of bubbles! Opinions wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nozebleeds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!
Just signed up here but have been a long time lurker, this weekend i finally got round to putting my DIY co2 generator together, It consists of 3 800ml (sorry metric aussie) reactor bottles and a 385ml bubble counter. I used VOSS bottles because i think the glass will be better. I have the mixtures in the right ratio i found online. I also added a dash of cranberry juice for something for the yeast to get a kick off.

The problem i have run into is i think the system is working too efficiently. The diffuser (chop stick while nano glass diffuser arrives) has a constant stream of tiny bubbles.

I don't know if this is too much for my fish which consist of:
Angelfish (the boss)
3 Congo Tetras (planning to get more but LFS don't have tons of stock ATM)
2 German Blue Rams (M,F pair. new acquisitions, love them)
1 Neon Blue Ram (GF had to have to him)
Dwarf Blue Gourami (used to have another but he killed it, tried another different colour gourami and still had to return him)
Sailfin Pleco (absolutely love him, no one messes with a pleco)
A couple of platy's (been around since i got my tank 6 months ago and had no idea what we were doing)
A couple of guppy's (same as above)
5 Rosy Barbs (GF is also obsessed with them)

Sorry to go into details but i love telling people about my fish!
The Ph of tank usually stays bang on 6 with our two weekly water changes (25% then 50% on weekend)

Here is a video of the co2 bubbles coming out. Would love someone with some knowledge to help me out and tell me if it's an okay amount of co2 pumping out.

Also welcome for any other advice regarding my fish, plants for my tank etc.

You can use pH and Kh to roughly calculate co2 concentration.
Or get one of those in tank colour changer co2 wotsits.

I'm interested in your DIY machine.

You could put a T and valve in, just before you get to the tank, to vent off some co2.

Wotsits = Drop Checker ?
IMO that does not look like too many CO2 bubbles. I used a yeast based CO2 generator for a year and really could not generate enough CO2 to turn the drop checker yellowish green to yellow. If excess CO2 is a concern, you could always hook up an air pump or additional power head or filter (HOB style) and set it to run during lights out. This should gas off any excess CO2. But I would get a drop checker first to see how much CO2 is actually being added to the tank before doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cheers guys

Thanks guys, the co2 bubbles seemed to have trickled down (recipe issue probably) I have an air pump just haven't hooked it up. The DIY co2 system was a cool project, measured ph yesterday and it's still at 6 but that's the lowest my API kit goes to. No fish have been surface hanging and gasping. So it looks like this system will work well. My spray bar on my filter is positioned and sends tons of oxygen bubbles through the tank. Guess we will just wait it out and see how it goes :)

Thanks everyone

Get the JBL test kit, that tests from 3-10 but it isn't at 0.2 increments, it's 0.5. Still it will give you a ball park figure for not much money.

Back
Top Bottom