DIY CO2 with paintball tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, so I just realized I have a 20oz CO2 tank from back when I used to paintball. And I thought to myself, " there must be a way to use this for my tank" do I did a little research but since I am so new to this I was overwhelmed and list in the sauce very fast. I know it can be done but I have no clue as to what parts I need for this tank in order to use it for my planted tank. If anyone at all could tell me the parts that I need I would greatly appreciate it!!

You will need a regulator that attaches to a paint ball size tank. Honestly, they are about the same price as a regulator for a 5-10lb tank, which lasts a heck of a lot longer than a 20oz paintball tank.

Here is an example of what you need: Red Sea CO2 Pressure Regulator for Paintball CO2 Bottles

You can get a quality regulator for larger CO2 tanks for far less:
$89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

You might find a co2 regulator for paintball tanks for less than the link I posted but not much less...

Okay then if that is the case I might invest in a larger tank! Overall, roughly how much do you think I could set up a 5-10 lbs tank?

$110-$150 depending on what deals you can find. It is tough to beat that MA957 regulator I linked. It is reliable and pretty reasonably priced.

A pressurize CO2 tank is the best investment you can make for a planted tank. Better than a better light, better than fancy substrate, better than dosing excel for ages.

fort384 said:
$110-$150 depending on what deals you can find. It is tough to beat that MA957 regulator I linked. It is reliable and pretty reasonably priced.

So piecing a set together would be cheaper than buying a set? From what little research I have just done it seems like I would have to buy a tank separately. From the hardware.

aqua_chem said:
A pressurize CO2 tank is the best investment you can make for a planted tank. Better than a better light, better than fancy substrate, better than dosing excel for ages.

That's what people are telling me. I have the fever now. Haha

So piecing a set together would be cheaper than buying a set? From what little research I have just done it seems like I would have to buy a tank separately. From the hardware.

If you went with the MA957 that fort linked, you would only need the tank, and a diffuser. Maybe a check valve too. All in all, you'd be looking around $150 everything included.

I got my MA957, needle valve, bubble checker and 10ft of CO2 tubing on eBay for $89 w/ free shipping. I spent (I think) $55 on a 5lb tank filled. Spent another $20 on check valves and diffusers. So... I guess $160 something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom