DIY hob riparium journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too I also hope I set it up correctly I think it may need to be a little lower in the water and the mangrove may need to come out of the gravel a little imma research it and find out.

heres a little update of the plants i switched out the floss the HC was growing on and wove it into some screening with fishing line and the pothos vines are doing great not sure if the mangrove is doing anything or not.

67188-albums11995-picture59446.jpg

67188-albums11995-picture59445.jpg

theese i have going emersed i have waer clover im going to do emersed in the final riparium ad the baby teard im not sure how im going to incorporate more into it yet lol

67188-albums11995-picture59444.jpg

Things are coming along nicely. I have heard that mangroves are super slow growers so it might take them a lot longer before you see any change. One thing too is if the potho's is planted in the HOB their extensive root system can get huge and creep into the motor. I kept my potho's just hanging in the tank.

Things are coming along nicely. I have heard that mangroves are super slow growers so it might take them a lot longer before you see any change. One thing too is if the potho's is planted in the HOB their extensive root system can get huge and creep into the motor. I kept my potho's just hanging in the tank.

I just have them in there untill there's a good root ball so they will hang off the side a little easier. I had trouble before keeping them draped over and the ends in the tank. There definaley coming along though.

Well I moves stuff around in my riparium today I found a java fern growing in my marsilia that I have going emersed so I did this with it and some of the marsilia.

ForumRunner_20130720_225840.jpg

I also moved the mangroves to the small hob and took out all the pothos vines to the other side of the tank.well almost all of them.

ForumRunner_20130720_230020.jpg

ForumRunner_20130720_230053.jpg

Then for an experiment I took one alt. Reineckii and one ammania gracilis stem and added them in with the hygro compact and the baby tears seem like they might be spreading a little bit but there roots are catching a lot of crap do you think that will hinder there growth?

ForumRunner_20130720_230529.jpg

ForumRunner_20130720_230529.jpg

I'm surprised they are catching detris in the water flow. Don't let it build up too thick and if it does take them out and rinse them off.

I'm surprised they are catching detris in the water flow. Don't let it build up too thick and if it does take them out and rinse them off.

Ya I've been experimenting with different ways to filter the incoming water so far I've tried like 4 different things and they all clog pretty quick. I just need to break down and buy a pack of Fluval prefilters from amazon.

So the biowheel filter is serving its purpose pretty well one of the plants in it is flowering it is a hygrophilia corymbosa "kompact" growing emersed in a net pot. Can't wait till the little flower fully blooms. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Glad it's doing so well and be sure to post pic's of the flowers. It still amazes me after all these years how different a lot of the plants look in their emersed form. And it's really cool when they flower!

I'm not sure they "fully bloom" like you're expecting them to. Corymbosa a flowers stay pretty small and don't open up like normal garden flowers. Here's mine, been flowering for a couple months now. Yours does look great though, glad its working out for you

Attachments

• image-1994205647.jpg
    image-1994205647.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3006435187.jpg
    image-3006435187.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 74
I'm not sure they "fully bloom" like you're expecting them to. Corymbosa a flowers stay pretty small and don't open up like normal garden flowers. Here's mine, been flowering for a couple months now. Yours does look great though, glad its working out for you

Nice! I just have mine in the net pot I occasionally stuff a piece of a Ru-tab in the bottom of it. That would be cool if mine flowered like that.

That is so cool! I love when plants flower.

Me too now to just get one flower under the water.

Back
Top Bottom