Diy spiral cfl question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that you get more out of the spiral bulbs by having them vertical, however this makes for very ugly mounting for the most part. It would be much nicer making a hood that has horizontal orientation. I was thinking of making a 4 bulb fixture for my 20g long high light tank. The bulbs would be horizontal and placed in a wooden hood like so:
attachment.php

except I would line it with aluminum tape for better reflection.
As long as the 4 bulbs could still achieve as much par as 3 vertical bulbs I would be happy, I really dislike the brooder lights or the enormous wooden canopies with vertical bulbs...
It would be placed directly over the aquarium which has a glass top

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

My only observation is that heat build up could reduce the efficiency of the bulb and it would be good practice to allow some air circulation. If the box is to be placed directly onto a glass cover sheet then the bulbs are fully enclosed. Do you have some way of allowing heat to escape without having beams of light shining out?

My only observation is that heat build up could reduce the efficiency of the bulb and it would be good practice to allow some air circulation. If the box is to be placed directly onto a glass cover sheet then the bulbs are fully enclosed. Do you have some way of allowing heat to escape without having beams of light shining out?

I can install a small computer fan or just drill some holes.

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Back
Top Bottom