DIY substrate for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's a good DIY substrate I can do for a planted tank? I'm going to lowes today and want to buy some substrate. I was thinking potting soil on the bottom with pool filter sand on top? Would that grow plants nicely ?

Please help I'm a noob with planted tanks and DIY substrate !:)

I heard some planted tankers use potting soil like Earth Gro or Miracle Gro with gravel on top...then you can add playing sand...be aware of the cloudiness of this DIY

I havent done this myself... But I've heard you can use an organic potting should and cap it with sand. Since you said you were going to lowes, see if you can find play sand, I got a 50lbs bag for a little under $4.

I heard some planted tankers use potting soil like Earth Gro or Miracle Gro with gravel on top...then you can add playing sand...be aware of the cloudiness of this DIY

I was thinking miracle grow with pool filter sand on top. I'm swapping this into an existing tank so I would take out 75% of water then take out my gravel and my my fish to buckets , then out the soil on the bottom, and the sand on top. Do I have the right idea ? Could you maybe post a link to the soil from a lowes website so I know the right kind to get. I really don't want to mess up my tank

I have a dirt bottomed tank. Look up the Walstad Method. You want organic soil only because the others will have perlite in them and you don't want or need that. You then cap with gravel or sand or eco-complete whatever you chose. Problem with adding dirt when there is water in the tank is it will make a murky mess. Usually you start will a dry tank. place 2+ inches of dirt, lightly wet the dirt, plant the plants then fill in with about 2 inches of sand or whatever substrate and adjust your plants. Seriously though I read a lot about it before I tried it and you should as well. You will have to heavily plant and do many water changes because otherwise you will be growing a lot of algae.

I was thinking miracle grow with pool filter sand on top. I'm swapping this into an existing tank so I would take out 75% of water then take out my gravel and my my fish to buckets , then out the soil on the bottom, and the sand on top. Do I have the right idea ? Could you maybe post a link to the soil from a lowes website so I know the right kind to get. I really don't want to mess up my tank

You need another cycled tank to put your fish in while doing this method...not a bucket

If you already have fish I'd grab straight sand and plant that. I use Black Diamond blasting sand.

You'll need to get Osmocote Plus to make Root Tabs.

Much faster than dirt and you can move your plants without an algae bloom.

I wouldn't use organic potting soil. I would use a regular topsoil or even sub soil. In order to get the mineralized topsoil mentioned in the link you need to have all the organic material consumed. Better to start without the organics. I mix the soil with gravel and use a layer about an inch or a little more deep and cap with more gravel, another inch or two. This works and you don't get murky water or massive algae blooms.If you put sand on top of gravel it will eventually work it's way into the spaces in the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom