DIY Sump help, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadoeFox

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to upgrading to a much larger tank than the one's I currently have and since I'm most likely going to buy something used off craigslist I'm probobly going to need to build an overflow and sump for myself since I want to do something much bigger than I have before.

I was hoping someone on here could give me an idea of a good place to look for information on how to do this? This is the first real DIY project I'm looking to tackle and really don't want to flood my basement. Heh.

I'm not completely unhandy, I'm just wanting to make sure I have good, reasonably complete information before I cobble this together (Will probobly build a test rig first, anyway, just to make sure. I'm the cautious sort.)

Thanks in advance!

I looked into this months ago before building mine. All you need to do is type in "DIY pvc overflow" on google or youtube and there will be more examples than you will know what to do with. I ended up modifying this design the Prodigal Cube: DIY: TwinPipe Overflow Pipe for mine and making it slimmer. I thought it was one of the better ones because it had a lot of flow but used smaller pipes to keep the rate and suction high.

I looked into this months ago before building mine. All you need to do is type in "DIY pvc overflow" on google or youtube and there will be more examples than you will know what to do with. I ended up modifying this design the Prodigal Cube: DIY: TwinPipe Overflow Pipe for mine and making it slimmer. I thought it was one of the better ones because it had a lot of flow but used smaller pipes to keep the rate and suction high.

have you ever had problems with air collecting in the top of the tubes? any problems with power outs or loosing siphon?

Cut alternating slits in ur PVC and u will have less air. Don't drill, cut slits. Trust me.

Back
Top Bottom