Do bio-wheels contribute to the growth of cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 bio-wheels 2 on my marine land penguin 350 and 1 on my marine-land 150. Should I remove them? I have had algae and cyano issues do they contribute to cyano growth?

No, they do not contribute to this. biowheels add another place for bacteria to grow, it is like a mechanical, spinning piece of live rock. How old is your tank? What is in your tank? How often do you feed? What is your lighting schedule?

The answer to one or more of these questions will provide the answer to why you are having these issues.

No, they do not contribute to this. biowheels add another place for bacteria to grow, it is like a mechanical, spinning piece of live rock. How old is your tank? What is in your tank? How often do you feed? What is your lighting schedule?

The answer to one or more of these questions will provide the answer to why you are having these issues.

Tank is 3 months old. 30lbs live rock 30 gal.

Lights are on for 14 hours but have been debating on whether or not to reduce to 10.

1 Green spotted puffer, blue damsel. 1 hermit, 2 turbo snails, 3 margarita snails, 1 sandsift star, zoas, yellow star polyps, mushroom corals.

Feeding 1 meal worm/ or piece of shrimp a day for puffer. Damsel gets small amount of flake food every other day.

Cyanobacteria usually grows in reaction to nutrients: primarily nitrates and phosphates. It also tends to grow in lower flow areas. I would reduce your light cycle to 10 hours. I consider 12 hours to be the max. Also, are you using RODI water for water changes? If you are using tapwater, that is a very likely source of the problem as well. Even if you are using some sort fo purified water source, check the TDS, nitrates and phosphates to make sure you aren't fertilizingg with each water change.

Back
Top Bottom