Do corals react to an upcoming storm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as the title says Do they? This is the second time right before a storm I have noticed some of my mushrooms looking deflated. This is my roommate's thinking even though he know's nothing about saltwater tank. I said he was crazy the first time but another storm is headed here and it's happening again so he may be on to something.
Ammo 0
Trite 0
Trate 3
Phosphate 0
Alk 10 dkh
Calcium 440
Mag no kit yet hopefully for Xmas
Temp 76
Ph 8.4
Salinity 1.026

They could be reacting to the barametric pressure and or ozone in the air.

The only time I have noticed any response from corals influenced by what was going outside of the tank is when I would have a large number of people over. The CO2 from talking had a negative effect on the corals and stuff started to retract and wilt. It took me a few days to make the correlation.

Ok. Here in va the temp and pressures change very fast . I'll try leaving the canopy door open to rule out a co2 issue kinda like the issue you had. Thanks Mr crabs. Anyone else care to weigh in ?

I just opened the top of my tank using a waffle sheet it helps with Co2 exchange and looks fairly neater than always having a cloudy glass top(y)

And yes corals can tell there's a storm brewing

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 88
Ok . I don't use glass tops. I have a 12 inch tall wooden canopy. It is open at the top so I doubt this is the cause of anything but it wont hurt to eliminate it as a possibility .

Well last night my GSP and frogspawn weren't open all the way, and this morning I woke up to a foot of snow

I'm about to test all parameters to figure out the cause, but ill go with the storm theory till then

The answer is yes. Most life in general reacts this way. A drop of the baromwter, humidity, increased co2, anything that could indicate an approaching storm would cause them to close up. If an Lps stayed inflated during a hurricane it could be wounded severely if not killed for example.

Back
Top Bottom