Do I absoutely need a hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
My space is pretty naturally lit, so I really dont even need the light. Is the hood a requirement? (PS-We have no other pets)

No. You really dont need a hood or lights, unless you have plants. Fish dont care about light. Just remember lids are not only ment to keep stuff out but to keep things in, some fish are jumpers, so research.

i dont think its a must, but research your fish. my dragon goby jumped of the container i keep him in while doing cleanings, so i think he would jump out of the tank if there was no lid.

I've seen tanks that are kept uncovered, but I couldn't do it. I worry too much that my fish will end up as rug jerky.

I cant leave my 150g open because I have jumpers (mainly the auratus)... I can and have had my two 10g tanks topless for some time. It makes everything so much easier, especially feeding and water changes. Do you have to have a hood? no... do you have to have something covering the tank? Only if you have jumpers (glass tops, egg crate, mesh screen... does not have to be an unsightly hood)

i'm topless on all my tanks except one. and the only reason i have lids on that is because i bought the set up like that from CL. But I also know nothing I keep is prone to jumping.

There was a setup in my LFS which was a fairly big (but not square!) tank which was at table top level and had an open top, in which they had lots of goldfish, and it looks great being designed to be viewed from above.

I'm not sure my fish would jump out but they do get up a bit of speed when coming to the surface to grab food, I'd be worried one of them overcooks it and jumps straight out!

all my tank r topless, what kinda hood i use? well i use duckweed to cover all my tank.
what kinda lighting i use? i use them cheap shop light which i DIY *bar* on each side to hang on the tank.

even with my RED belly, i dont use hood.

Back
Top Bottom