Do i have to worry about inbreeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had two panda cories successfully spawn and I didn't know until I saw 3 juvies swimming around. Pretty cool watching them develop over the last few weeks and now the larger one is about half an inch.

Assuming this happens again, with either the same pair or another, do I have to eventually worry about any possible problems from inbreeding with the offspring? Would I want to add additional panda cories later on like some people do with shrimp colonies to add to the gene pool?

Thanks and sorry for the newb question lol.

Hello steve...

If you don't introduce new stock, your Corys will develop changes in color, size, fin shape, etc. Any problems the offspring have will be greater in the future generations. But, don't worry. This takes many generations and probably years considering the life span of Corydodras. If you're interested in breeding these fish, then keep track of the generations that are born and every few, add a couple of new fish to your stock.

Just a suggestion from a "Corydoras Keeper".

B

Thanks! Good to know. It's not really my intention to breed them but I also don't want to cause any "problems" with nature semi running its course in the tank. Maybe I'll make it an annual thing to add some newcomers to the group. Wouldn't mind upping their numbers anyway since they're so entertaining to watch lol.

Kind of an update. I have another two new juvie cories swimming around! It's pretty cool to see offspring making it without any assistance from myself.

If I keep finding two or three juvies every couple of months I'm going to triple my original stock by spring time!

Is there any way to "slow them down" such as making it less desirable to spawn? I'm not familiar with breeding cories or anything for that matter. Is it related to having places to hide to drop eggs or water quality (things I can't change)?

I wouldn't worry about "slowing them down" If you get too many just trade them in to a lfs for credit or sell them to other hobbyists.

As for the inbreeding. Yes they will encounter problems down the road but it takes a while. Approximately 5 generations of inbreeding fish start developing a lot of birth defects and have a lot less longevity. Granted, it takes approx. 4 months for the young to reach breeding age so it's a bit time consuming for this to happen. Every 2 - 3 generations it might be worthwhile to trade in half your cories for new ones.

Good idea on the trading/selling. I think id be more inclined to sell them to fellow hobbyists versus my local stores. Most of my local stores are dumps and I would feel pretty bad taking them there. Would much rather prefer knowing they're going to a good home.

If I thinned out some of my plant growth would that thin out the numbers? Might sound odd but I would have a hard time culling them but I don't object to other fish picking them off (kinda sounds cruel I know).

Just out if curiosity do you know the average lifespan of panda cories?

Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom