Do I need a protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthappe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added my yellow polyp colony to my nano reef tank which has been set up about 2 months ish and i was wondering if i need a protein skimmer. It is a 20 gallon hex with 20 lb live rock with a bio wheel with 200 gph and i have a 200 gph power head on the way to help with circulation. I'm all set on lighting and my coral seems to be doing great. I have read that you don't need a skimmer and also i have read that it is cheaper to just do water changes on small tanks. I want my corals to thrive not survive so which one is it?

matthappe said:
I just added my yellow polyp colony to my nano reef tank which has been set up about 2 months ish and i was wondering if i need a protein skimmer. It is a 20 gallon hex with 20 lb live rock with a bio wheel with 200 gph and i have a 200 gph power head on the way to help with circulation. I'm all set on lighting and my coral seems to be doing great. I have read that you don't need a skimmer and also i have read that it is cheaper to just do water changes on small tanks. I want my corals to thrive not survive so which one is it?

Several of us on here run our tanks with no protein skimmers. I have no problems at all without it and my coral are thriving. Just a personal opinion.

Audiew said:
Several of us on here run our tanks with no protein skimmers. I have no problems at all without it and my coral are thriving. Just a personal opinion.

Really how is your tank set up what do u use to compensate for no protien skimmer

Madreefer420 said:
Really how is your tank set up what do u use to compensate for no protien skimmer

Biocube 29 hqi with 25 lbs liverock and 25ish lbs of live sand. Chamber 1 heater, chamber 2 intank media basket with floss, purigen, chemi pure elite. I do a weekly water change of 5 gallons.

A tank can be run successfully without a protein skimmer provided weekly water changes occur and one is not overfeeding the tank. All the skimmer does is remove organics, so if you keep up on water changes, remove excess food before it begins to decompose, and maintain a healthy tank, you can get by without one.

Any tank can be run without a skimmer if you use an algae turf scrubber.

True enough, but it depends on where in the process you want to remove substances from the system. A protein skimmer removes organic waste (like food and fish waste) before it begins to break down into nutrients. A algae turf scrubber only removes the nutrients once those substances have broken down.

For most people, a protein skimmer is highly recommended if you wish to keep a successful reef system.

I agree with that 100% wy. They do indeed work great together since you get the waste before it's converted and after. I use both on my big predator tank and I am just using a scrubber on my small angler reef that is in the building process. I try to spread the word on the scrubber since it isn't widely used and known about by most .

Back
Top Bottom