Do It yourself MH lighting????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garth7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone created their MH lighting system themselves? Got any instrucitons? I was looking into doing this myself but got confused on what type of ballast I should buy and what type of lamp would fit this. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Doug

it depends on what you need.. I could try to dig you up some links for parts if you give the wattage and type of bulbs you want to have.. HTH

You can search our DIY forum here and you'll find a lot of helpful information.

and on that note, i'm going to move this thread there for proper placement and should get you more responses as well. :)

Thanks BillyZ. I just now seen the DIY section. Crazy new guys.... I have a lot of learning to do. This place is great!!!!

The sale price makes that a good deal on the retrofit kit..
it depends on what MH bulbs you pick as to wether or not youll need 03 supplementation.. 14K+ youll probibly not need it color wise.. HTH

I built my own 175 watt system for 130 bucks. With some of the retro kits available out there, it really is not logical to make your own when you can get a complete for around 150.

Ill likely pull off my dual 175 watt system for less then 80-90.. but that was with some great deals I pulled off on ebay..

Extra lights

Hey I was in menards last night and found some sunlight compact florescents. :idea: These were equivelent to 100 watts the plugged into an ordinary light socket. The had a 6500K rating on them. Would these be a good supplement to the mh listed above. Would the different k rating give me a broader spectrum of light? If so, they would be a cheap add on. The only worry would be room. Let me know if I am silly for thinking this is a good idea! :idea:

Doug

I love this place!!!! :lol:

You wouldnt want to supplement 6500K anything but possibly 20,000K MH.. and you dont count the equivelent wattage number (that is what they are equivelt to in incandecent bulbs and that would be irrelevent for fish tanks) you count the wattage the bulb actually uses and the restrike of those bulbs you usually louse about half of that..

hey all,

Its been awhile since I have posted. I just wanted to let you know the new lighting is up and fish are thriving well. I just picked up a maroon clown the other day. I am still letting the tank inucbate a bit before trying corals. I will try to post some pictures later. Thanks for all the help!!!

Doug

Back
Top Bottom