Do live plants consume nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Given the natural cycle of an aquarium, ammonia>nitrites>nitrates, the only way to remove nitrates from your "system" is to do a water change, correct? Does that mean that a water change would really only resupplies trace minerals and buffers to the water at that point (not that those aren't important)?

I'm just trying to understand all this.

nomadman2003 said:
Given the natural cycle of an aquarium, ammonia>nitrites>nitrates, the only way to remove nitrates from your "system" is to do a water change, correct? Does that mean that a water change would really only resupplies trace minerals and buffers to the water at that point (not that those aren't important)?

I'm just trying to understand all this.

Water changes and heavily planting with easy fast growing stem plants will remove toxins and help tanks cycle faster IMHO.

It replenishes minerals and buffers and it also removes other unmeasurable waste from the water. A fish's poo release a lot of these unmeasureabke waste besides ammonia. I strongly recommend at least 50% water changes per week for planted and unplanted tanks. The plants just help keep the water cleaner during the week.

Back
Top Bottom