Do you turn your heater off during water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to update this, I got the new heater from Aqueon today. I plugged the two heaters and two filters into their own power strip and left the light on another (all on a GFI). Now I can shut everything off at once during water changes).

The next thing to figure out is why I have so many fish dying. About one a month. To be 100% honest, I think it's just crappy fish from Petco. IME, fish from PetCo last a few months, getting the same fish from the local pet store for twice the price last a few years. Unfortunately the local place I like (Hoffers, for those of you in the Milwaukee area) closed and I have no idea where to go anymore for fresh water fish.
Maybe this is just another push towards salt water. But killing a $2 fresh water fish is one thing, killing a $30 salt water fish is much more expensive. None of them appear to be sick (even in the days before it happens). They've been all different kinds. In the past few months I've lost a pleco, a CAE, a barb and a GloFish. It's a 40g tank with good numbers that I change about 40-50% of the water on every 7-10 days, all the fish are small and it's not over crowded, I keep the water at about 75. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I think it's just that I'm getting low quality fish. Like I said, the fish from the local place were lasting much longer.

Back
Top Bottom