Does anyone use a UV sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if anybody was using a UV sterilizer? What are the pros and cons to this device?

I had one for ten years. It broke about a yr ago and I just decided to go with out it from now on. It`s OK for parasites or algea spores but it only kills what goes through the lighted chamber. Anything that stays down near the substrate is not going to feel the effects. We have an article about UV lights in our articles section.

I had one for ten years. It broke about a yr ago and I just decided to go with out it from now on. It`s OK for parasites or algea spores but it only kills what goes through the lighted chamber. Anything that stays down near the substrate is not going to feel the effects. We have an article about UV lights in our articles section.
Thanks Mike, I read that article and it seemed to ambiguous so I figured I would see what the populous had to say.

Like I said it served it`s purpose. I`m glad I had it. I`ve never had ick or very little algea. Was it because of the UV. I think it helped but so did the QT and the feeding every other day and the weekly PWC`s. I think you get the point.

I use a UV sterilizer for my fresh water tank, I can't get algae to grow if I try, I don't get parasites of any kind, no sick fish ever, who knows what exactly the portion of my tank's success is associated with the UV, but I imagine it does help.

Back
Top Bottom