Does gestation get shorter after multiple births?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Mickey Mouse platy that has given birth a couple of times. It seems the gestation period is getting shorter. Is this possible?

I am not sure if she is pregnant now because I have never been able to see a gravid spot and she only got huge and dropped the first time.

She does look squarish from above.

Huh, I dont have a answer for that but now that I think about it my mollies gestation period did get shorter after a few births. Very interesting question I hope someone has a answer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My Mickey Mouse platy has been popping out fry every 3 weeks for 18 weeks so her gestation period hasn't changed, her amount of fry has steadily increased and is now at a stable 6 fry per birth though.

It's normal for there to be some variation in the length of gestation, a few days one way or the other. I'd be surprised if it was a great deal shorter or longer though, because fry have to develop, which is going to take roughly the same amount of time for most of them.

Like any animal, it's possible for fry to born a bit early or a bit late, and it's also possible for the fish to give birth to only part of a brood at one time and give birth to the remainder a bit later on. Not sure why, but I've read of several instances where this has happened.

It's normal for there to be some variation in the length of gestation, a few days one way or the other. I'd be surprised if it was a great deal shorter or longer though, because fry have to develop, which is going to take roughly the same amount of time for most of them.

Like any animal, it's possible for fry to born a bit early or a bit late, and it's also possible for the fish to give birth to only part of a brood at one time and give birth to the remainder a bit later on. Not sure why, but I've read of several instances where this has happened.

I agree with this. It always takes time for the fry to develop. What you said reminded me of when fish lay eggs. They often hatch around the same time, but can vary in time, some earlier than others, some later.

Back
Top Bottom