Does it matter in which order you stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
Stocking will most likely include:
BGK
4-6 Angels (will only be keeping a mated pair though)
Small school of:
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Corys
Hatchetfish
And I've been considering a single Bristlenose.

I'd like to add the angels first so they could pair off quicker... will they get territorial with adding the other fish? I plan on adding a new kind of fish each week so the bioload won't be too bad. Tank will be cycled with used media from my other tanks.

Nik

How big is your tank?
I would hope by your stocking list it's at least 75gal =o)

Anyways, I personally would add your schooling fish (tetras, corys, hatchets) first, then your and then your angels last.

I would add the angels after the tetras and hatchet fish. That way they don't get a head start in staking their territory. The cories you can add when you want. Are you worried about the knife eating the cories and then the tetras?

I'm somewhat worried about the cories when the knife gets bigger but I think it will be fine. I'm going to set up plenty of cover for them where the knife won't go, plus he will be well fed and most likely well trained by the time he would consider snacking on a cory. I've kept BGK with smaller fish than corys and tetras and they were fine. Matter of fact, when I was younger I kept a BGK that was 8" in a 20 gallon (10 years old, didn't know better) and he never killed the other fish.

Nik

Back
Top Bottom