Dont laugh please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told by my son that he was told that livebearers die after they give birth to all the fry that they are storing, he said due to so many fry and 6 months of giving birth.I really dont believe him but he really believes it, so I thought I would ask you guys, to put my mind at ease....
Thanks for not laughing:eek:

I'm not aware of any livebearers that have this happen but some livebearers such as Endlers may only live a couple of years. They reach sexual maturity at 3 months and the females give birth to an average of 10 fry every 23 days or so.

Many livebearering females can store sperm for 6-8 separate pregnancies which is quite a long time.

Fish Breeding and Spawning - Does the fish die after giving birth?

Always remember fish tend to die after giving birth if severely stressed and this is especially true when you place the gravid female in a breeder trap which does not offer refuge and comfort for her at all, but stress her to the point she will attempt to jump out of fright and die in the process due to severe stress.

A fish is not really going to die unless severely stressed by factors especially a place where it cannot take refuge in times of labor hence I recommended a 5g tank which should also be densely-planted and ran by a sponge filter only.

I've seen livebearers drop fry every month for years without ill-health effects. As lupin said, just make sure you don't stress her out, and provided she's generally healthy, she'll be totally fine.

I googled this and found that sometimes livebearers do die after giving birth, but only if they were in ill health, weak (from breeder), old, or further stressed by other circumstances.

Notice how every single point says that the fish must be stressed in order for death to occur. Under normal circumstances death does not occur.

thank you very much for putting my mind at ease and taking the time to find my answers

Back
Top Bottom