Dont trust LPS......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I normally get my fish at my LFS but we had to get dog food and the local pet store was having a good sale so I decided to check if out. What a mistake! I didn't own my own test kit but always had my LFS test my water and never has an ammonia issue after cycling. Took a sample to LPS to get it tested and it showed high ammonia. I freaked! But that wasn't the worst. Their "fish guy" told me now worries with African cichlids, I should add more that they can "swim in anything". Well I knew better so I didn't buy anything but a API test kit.

Wet home and tested my water and it was perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and I think 10 nitrate. Do you think he tested with a dirty tube? And what's worse, the test or the advice he gave?!!!!

I've had the same problem. I had a not-very-nice encounter with my local chain store and them testing my water. Their test said .5ppm and my test was 0 ammonia. It's good you have your own test kit now so you know if the test is being done correctly.

I normally get my fish at my LFS but we had to get dog food and the local pet store was having a good sale so I decided to check if out. What a mistake! I didn't own my own test kit but always had my LFS test my water and never has an ammonia issue after cycling. Took a sample to LPS to get it tested and it showed high ammonia. I freaked! But that wasn't the worst. Their "fish guy" told me now worries with African cichlids, I should add more that they can "swim in anything". Well I knew better so I didn't buy anything but a API test kit.

Wet home and tested my water and it was perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and I think 10 nitrate. Do you think he tested with a dirty tube? And what's worse, the test or the advice he gave?!!!!

Possibly, or my other guess would be that he just didn't follow the directions to the letter... it's my understanding that failure to follow all steps exactly (time spent shaking the tubes, etc) will cause wonky readings.

Did he test with a liquid kit? One too many or too few drops will skew results. Strips are inaccurate.

Yeah it was a liquid test. I didn't watch him closely though as I was checking out the fish but maybe he messed up with the #drops.

Most of the weird reading you get with test kits are false negatives. Getting false positives are an art in themselves.

Unless you have a personal relationship with a fish shop employee, I wouldn't trust anything they say.

In google we trust! A quick search on your smart phone will not only save time in the store but it will almost always save you money.

I rarely even talk to pet store employees except for the ones that I know actually have experience.

Back
Top Bottom