Dosing iron chelate 13% EDTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up some iron chelate today and am wondering about dosing amounts. I found a website that said

" Mix 1/4 cup (20 g) iron chelate 13% with EDTA in 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water to make 10,000 ppm solution. Add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of this stock solution to 12.5 gallons (47.3 L) for an initial concentration of 0.26 ppm. Periodically add stock solution at this dosage or as required to maintain about 0.10 ppm iron in solution."

I did that but I've found my solution hasn't dissolved in the 7 hours it's been mixed so is this normal? Other wise how much should I dry dose then? I got this because it was cheaper then your seachem iron and other products like that and I needed some more iron in my ferts for my ludwigia as I don't feel the 0.2% in my osmocote root tabs are enough.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431342271.476488.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431342777.459763.jpg

I never understood people's fascination with iron dosing in aquaria.

Ironbis a micro nutrieny. I.e. its needed in an absolutely miniscule supply. Personally, iron isn't something on my radar when im seeing a plant problem.

What are you seeing wrong with your plant?
What ferts do you use normally?
What carbon source do you use?
What light system do you have?
What size tank?

You have to much iron:water it is not soluble. Use this site to help: Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

Iron is very important in planted aquaria. Tom Barr has documented the importance through many research papers. The whole .1ppm of iron has been debunked. The kind of chelating agent used is also very important relative to your pH/KH.

You have to much iron:water it is not soluble. Use this site to help: Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

Iron is very important in planted aquaria. Tom Barr has documented the importance through many research papers. The whole .1ppm of iron has been debunked. The kind of chelating agent used is also very important relative to your pH/KH.
I never said it wasnt important, but its absolutely not as important as people make it out to be. You need a full spectrum of nutrients to have healthy plants but people focus solely on iron as if they could dose nothing but that and have a beautiful lush garden.

I have previously been using osmocote root tabs, diy co2, light is a diy led kit I put together that puts me in a medium light setting. I don't know the specs on it....

I've recently grabbed some ludwigia glandulosa and that's the main reason why I got the iron.

I wasn't planning on using large amounts just thought I may need a little bit more of it with the ludwigia.

I'm trying to experiment and explore plants that aren't simple low tech ones. I've had good success with baby tears and am also getting nice growth on my mayaca.

Back
Top Bottom