Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon planted tank that i just started. The pet store recommends that i dose with seachem flourish, Excel and trace elements. Do I really need all of this? I have planted microsword, anubias, watersprite, and some crypts. I have 2 27 watt sprial bulbs.

I have a 10 gallon planted tank that i just started. The pet store recommends that i dose with seachem flourish, Excel and trace elements. Do I really need all of this? I have planted microsword, anubias, watersprite, and some crypts. I have 2 27 watt sprial bulbs.
i will leave it up to someone else who is better at figuring out how much light is lost due to the re-strike on spiral bulbs, but i can tell you it is a lot, so you really do not have much light on that tank. you might be ok with most the plants you have as they are low light plants. the microsword i am not sure you will have enough light for that, and you will need root-tabs for it most likely.

i guess my advice is to see what the plants/algae tells you. if you see deficiencies or strange algae growth something is wrong, and those things can point to the problem.

you might be ok with the excel and flourish, not sure you need the trace though. i would do weekly 50% pwc and that should replace any trace elements your plants use. depending on your bio-load you might need NO3. have you tested for nitrate? how much do you have? ppm?

i know i am forgeting something, been gone from the site to long :-|

The "trace" provides minerals and such to help the fish more that plants. You can skip that one.

Since you have a no CO2 set up, if you keep your light down to about 8 hours per day. You may find that your weekly water changes, and a 1/2 tsp of the flourish (comprehensive) after the water change may be all you need.

Its much better if u later go with EI dosing with dry ferts. Its much cheaper in the long run and more effective.

I would not EI dose your tank. EI is made for CO2 injected high light tanks. You will only have an over abundance of nutrients if you try it.

Zezmo gave you great advice. I would just watch the plants and see what they do. Let them be your guide.

If you Excel dose, you may want to add some additional ferts like JDogg has suggested.

Yeah thats true. But when he does get to co2 dose and with proper lights, then its EI dosing all the way

Back
Top Bottom