Doubble red's in 40l tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordan101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if more than one pair of cichlids could be kept in a 40l planted tank? Because i have read that in nature that a huge number live in a meter of the river or where ever!
If only 1 pair what else could be kept in the tank with them??

They are being separated from the 100l because I never see it and I haven't seen him eat! And all he does I'd hide for the majority of the day is this a good idea??

I would stick to 1 pair in that size tank (~10g for our American friends). More than a pair might be territorial and you could have some fighting. Even in a 40L tank the male could harrass the female, so if that happens, be sure to watch them and remove 1 if you have to.

As far as what could go with them....I'd only put a small school of small fish like Neons, Green Neons, or one of the microrasbora Boraras species. The tank really isn't big enough to house more than that.

Definantely only one male in a 10 gal. While this species is a harem breeder each female claims Approx 12 inches of territory. So it is not recomended to keep more than 1 female in a 10 gal. As far as other fish, I would avoid most bottom dwellers since they will be seen as invading the apistos territory.

Yeagh it's a 40 litre. Thanks for the advice, it was just an idea because I've got a 300 litre which I am w8ing to start using. Which means the gold fish in the smaller tank get the 100l tank and I was trying 2 work out what 2 do with the 40l any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom