double tank stand height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
My husband and I are planning on building a double stand for my 75s. We have found plans for a sturdy stand, but we are not sure about the working space we should leave between the top of the bottom tank and the top framing members. My gut instinct says 12" in order to have room to work (siphon, plant, etc), but that makes the top edge of the upper tank pretty high. Anyone have recommendations on this?

I have three double stands, the first one I built has only 6 inches of working space above the bottom tank, this was a mistake as it is hard to do maintenance. The other two have about 8 inches which actually is a lot better. I would go with at least 12 in. on the next one I build. I say go with as much space as possible.

Thanks. I also posted this question on two Facebook aquarium groups and got the answers of "at least 9 inches, but more is better" and another at "8 inches or more." At 12 inches, the top of the upper tank gets to be a lot higher than I would like. At any rate, I will probably have to use a step stool for maintenance on the higher tank.

It's going to make the stand less stable the higher you go, if you use heavy steel brackets and lag bolt to sturdy framing in the home than the cieling would be the limit I'd think. Me personally, I'd stay in the 10-12" range

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks so much for the input. We've decided to go with the 10" space between tanks. We aren't making a fish room rack, just a double stand for two tanks. The bottom tank will only be four inches off the floor, but I'm OK with that as I have a floor drain to siphon into. That makes for a more reasonable viewing of the main tank, as well as making it easier to maintain that one.

Good point brookster. I didn't mention it, but all my tall double stands are very securely lag bolted to the wall studs in my house. I have small children and I wouldn't risk it ever.

Back
Top Bottom