Dragon Fish-- I'm a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TashaRose13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I my name is Tasha and I just bought a dragon fish because I got soo attached to it. I have been reading up on them but I still don't know too much. Any information would be great. I currently have him in a 3 gallon tank but not sure that it's big enough I mean he is only 7 inches right now. It's been two days and I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right because I'm hoping to get an aquarium and bring him lots of fish to have as company cuz right now he is alone. Oh and is it normal that he jumps in his tank a lot?

TashaRose13 said:
I my name is Tasha and I just bought a dragon fish because I got soo attached to it. I have been reading up on them but I still don't know too much. Any information would be great. I currently have him in a 3 gallon tank but not sure that it's big enough I mean he is only 7 inches right now. It's been two days and I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right because I'm hoping to get an aquarium and bring him lots of fish to have as company cuz right now he is alone. Oh and is it normal that he jumps in his tank a lot?

Hi and welcome!
Any 7 inch fish in a 3 gallon tank is bad news I'm sorry. I'm not very familiar with dragon fish so I can't help you out with specific requirement just general tank care and cycling. IMO your looking at at least a 40g tank maybe bigger. (I will let someone else comment on that)
New fish tanks need to be cycled. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in the filter to consume the ammonia your fish produces. It is very important a tank is cycled correctly.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this and feel free to ask any questions.

Hey :)
I have the same species you do! I got mine around 7 years ago he was no bigger than my pinky finger. Now he's over a foot long! They love to swim (well glide) through the water and yes "jump" straight up the side of the tank. Super fast! I hope you have a secure lid. I keep mine in a 65 gal tank and find he still needs more room. They love to burrow in the sand and hide away so make sure to have plenty of hiding spots and a soft substrate. Also try to stay away from any sharp decorations. (I learned that one the hard way) my guy has scars from some of the caves he had as a baby :-( They are a brackish fish and do require salt being added to the tank. They also love blood worms,shrimp,and a good flake! (At least mine does) If you take good care of yours you will see that they can live a long time and get really big. My suggestion, start saving for a much larger tank. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me any time. I really do love these guys and will help any way I can :)

Hey :)
I have the same species you do! I got mine around 7 years ago he was no bigger than my pinky finger. Now he's over a foot long! They love to swim (well glide) through the water and yes "jump" straight up the side of the tank. Super fast! I hope you have a secure lid. I keep mine in a 65 gal tank and find he still needs more room. They love to burrow in the sand and hide away so make sure to have plenty of hiding spots and a soft substrate. Also try to stay away from any sharp decorations. (I learned that one the hard way) my guy has scars from some of the caves he had as a baby :-( They are a brackish fish and do require salt being added to the tank. They also love blood worms,shrimp,and a good flake! (At least mine does) If you take good care of yours you will see that they can live a long time and get really big. My suggestion, start saving for a much larger tank. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me any time. I really do love these guys and will help any way I can :)

Good job. I hear too many improper keeping stories.

4ft long tanks recommended. Look on YouTube to see a bigger version of your fish. After you have a big tank, then add sand and a filter. Cycle the tank and give plenty of hiding places. Easy care..

Back
Top Bottom