drift wood yellow water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonder8331

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
purchased a piece of wood for my catfish and have been boiling it all day but it is still turning the water yellow. Can I put a tiny bit of bleach or Something maybe even salt to help speed up the process?

Don't add bleach! Just keep boiling it, or if its really all the frustrating, just put it in your tank. The tannins are really only gross to look at... It doesnt really hurt the fish. If you keep up on PWC's you can just add it to the tank now.

You will never get all the tannins out of the wood.

You can boil it about 10 times (each time in clean water) and the majority of tannins will be out. But when you put the wood in the water, in a week the water will still have a yellow cast. Usually not so much that it looks objectionable, but it will be noticeable. To some degree, its just a part of including wood in the tank.

I boil once for 30sec or if it's too big for the pot I just fill the tub with hot water. If it has changed my water, which I haven't noticed, it changed it for the better. Just remember, your aquarium isn't going to be boiling, and it's also a bigger body of water.

Thnx guys the wood was def an impulse cause I wanted another hiding spot for my raphael cat keep soaking and boiling

Tannins are actually good for fish and stimulate eating and breeding :). Overtime PWC will make the water less yellow but don't worry it won't hurt anything

Back
Top Bottom