Driftwood Prep Question.... resin / sap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I picked up 2 pieces of driftwood from a local nursery. A lot of people in my area apparently purchase there for their aquariums since it's cheap and plentiful.

I soaked the 2 pieces in my pool for a couple weeks (I know that sounds crazy, but it's actually brilliant if you think about it since you don't need to change out the water and its chlorinated). The larger piece now sinks, but the thin, long piece is still semi-buoyant.

Anyway, I'm boiling them today, and after about a half hour a frothy yellowish substance appears on the surface. I'm assuming it has to be sap or resin as its gooey when hot, but extremely brittle once out of the water.

I'm afraid it might be pine though I have no idea. I'm seeing differing views about using pine in aquariums. Some say it's deadly, others say they've used it for years with no problems.

Any thoughts / experience?

Thanks

Crap. Leaning towards not using it. Doesn't smell like pine but it's producing a lot of this stuff. IMG_1505.jpgIMG_1504.jpgIMG_1503.jpg

No way.. risking the well being of your tank for a couple cheap pieces of wood is crazy imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

eco...

Boiling does nothing good for driftwood. It softens the fibers and the piece won't stay together nearly as long as simply rinsing it in warm tap water. Boiling releases gases and chemicals immediately that can quickly change the chemistry of your tank water. Boiling essentially destroys the piece.

At this point, I'd toss it.

B

@BBradbury- Also kills parasites, algae, fungus and is a widely accepted, approved and common practice of the hobby.

No way in hell I would ever just "rinse in warm water" something which has been outside in nature for years and just throw it in an aquarium.

I agree with the fact it can change the fibers of the wood, but please do not encourage hobbyists to simply "rinse" objects without properly disinfecting items.

Thanks Fresh. I got the PM but mailbox is too full and won't let me respond. I appreciate the recommendation for the place in VA.

Unrelated, but funny how I was a regular here years ago, somebody gave bad advice then, and has apparently carried on the tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't boil pinecones ok;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom