Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought two really cool pieces of driftwood for my tank when I bought the set up. My plants have already started putting out new shoots and I've only had the tank set up two weeks, so I'm pretty excited, but my water is slightly discolored. I took some water out of the tank and it looks like a tea color, but very faint. Is it the driftwood? I hope it gets crystal clear eventually......what are your thoughts?
Thanks,
D

Yes, tannins are leaching from the driftwood. Tannins are not bad but some find it unsightly. Most folks boil DW to help remove them. Or at least soak them in a separate container. Some water changes will help clear the water. It may continue to leach tannins for some time. I recommend boiling them.

Yes, tannins are leaching from the driftwood. Tannins are not bad but some find it unsightly. Most folks boil DW to help remove them. Or at least soak them in a separate container. Some water changes will help clear the water. It may continue to leach tannins for some time. I recommend boiling them.

Thanks for your response. I took one piece out, but have also ordered some manzanita driftwood which maybe won't leach as much tannins out. I do a PWC every Sat so maybe that will help also. I'll be sure to boil the manzanita prior to putting it in my tank.

Thanks for your response. I took one piece out, but have also ordered some manzanita driftwood which maybe won't leach as much tannins out. I do a PWC every Sat so maybe that will help also. I'll be sure to boil the manzanita prior to putting it in my tank.

yes boil the manzanita wood as i think it will leech more tannis then say Malaysian driftwood would. A good 8 hour boil (does not have to be all at once) should be plenty to ensure all of the tannis gone, or if its too big i just put the wood in a big plastic bin and pour boiling water into it till the wood is covered and repeat till i no longer see tea colored water after about 2 days.

yes boil the manzanita wood as i think it will leech more tannis then say Malaysian driftwood would. A good 8 hour boil (does not have to be all at once) should be plenty to ensure all of the tannis gone, or if its too big i just put the wood in a big plastic bin and pour boiling water into it till the wood is covered and repeat till i no longer see tea colored water after about 2 days.

Malaysian driftwood pours out tannins. I wish I would of gotten bogwood instead. Oh well.

Malaysian driftwood pours out tannins. I wish I would of gotten bogwood instead. Oh well.

i know Malaysian wood does but ive heard of manzanita doing more so, and bog wood is a good choice also. Mopani wood comes to mind and is easy to find online.

though ive never had tannis issues with any wood i use because i always boil,soak,boil,soak and repeat for 2-3 weeks

i know Malaysian wood does but ive heard of manzanita doing more so, and bog wood is a good choice also. Mopani wood comes to mind and is easy to find online.

though ive never had tannis issues with any wood i use because i always boil,soak,boil,soak and repeat for 2-3 weeks

Doggone it, I should have done more research. My water quality is good; I tested it this morning, but didn't boil the wood as I should have. I'm surpised that manzanita has high tannis content, I would have never guessed from the appearance. I'll take your suggestions and boil & repeat for as long as it takes. Thanks everyone.
D

Oh, when you get past the tannins don't be surprised if you get a decent growth of fungus on the DW. It will go away. Or you could boil it again.

I thought maybe I could jump in this thread instead of making my own thread. :)

I just got a piece of mopani and the first soak in boiling water (three days ago) made the water slightly discolored but not overly so. I've replaced the water 3 times since then and it isn't making any noticeable difference to the water color. It's a little over a foot long. Is it pretty much good or should I be doing something differently? Thanks!

I thought maybe I could jump in this thread instead of making my own thread. :)

I just got a piece of mopani and the first soak in boiling water (three days ago) made the water slightly discolored but not overly so. I've replaced the water 3 times since then and it isn't making any noticeable difference to the water color. It's a little over a foot long. Is it pretty much good or should I be doing something differently? Thanks!

Well, you were smarter than I was! I've ordered my manzanita and this time I'll boil it! :ermm:

Oh, when you get past the tannins don't be surprised if you get a decent growth of fungus on the DW. It will go away. Or you could boil it again.

Does the fungus have any impact on the water quality? My water is clear, just a little bit yellowish. On a great note, my new plants are doing great and this is my first attempt at a larger aquarium and planted at that so I'm pretty happy.

Does the fungus have any impact on the water quality? My water is clear, just a little bit yellowish. On a great note, my new plants are doing great and this is my first attempt at a larger aquarium and planted at that so I'm pretty happy.

Not that I am aware of and I have not read anyone mentioning it.
Planted tanks are great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom