drilling glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's tempered then not even a professional can do it, tempered glass is under constant stress (tempering), drilling it will release the stress (which is actually tension) and cause the whole piece to shatter..

Plate glass can be drilled, typically I think people do this with a piece of copper pipe and some very fine sand.. (friction cut). Personally, I think it's best to leave this one up to professionals, they break it they bought it, you break it and you have to replace it.

Like Oz said if tempered you can NOT drill, if your not sure if you have tempered glass or not then contact the company that made the tank and they can tell you. The bottom of most tanks are tempered with the sides and ends being regular glass.
I know for a fact that the 55 gal tanks sold at walmart are tempered, learned the hard way while having it drilled.

Is it hard to do no, but it takes a steady hand a high quality diamond hole saw bit and lots of fluid for lubrication.
Guys in the reef club Im in drill tanks all the time with no issues, the club got a set of bits for use to use and it working out well.
The pros use a drill press, but with care and palnning you can do it free hand.

The tank I purchased is fairly old. So I doubt it is tempered but thanks for the info. I think I am going to go to a pro, I have decided I am going to want at least 6 holes drilled(2 drain, 4 return) and I dont want to risk me messing it up.

Thanks
JEff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom