Drop Checker Confusion!!!!!:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessy2363

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this drop checker off ebay. I am to use the solution is comes with and aquraium water. no ph blue stuff and no 4dkh as I think it's premixed. Weird...
Anyway before I started using Co2 it was green?? Isn't it supposed to start off blue and turn green when the co2 levels are correct? I know my PH is low anyway as I have heaps of driftwood and keep discus as they like a low PH. So i'm wondering do you think I should aim for a yellow colour on the drop checker as my correct co2 level as opposed to the typical green. Or is adding co2 dangerous for my tank considering the ph is already low? I'm worried about the fish as they started to stress out when I turned it on. So now I'm too scared to use it. I don't trust my drop checker either. They should start out blue not green....Should I get a new drop checker and do the 4dkh thing with the ph blue stuff? I left my drop checker in there with no co2 running at all and it's still green and it's been in the tank for days now. Someone please help my confusing dilemma:banghead:

Aquatic Aquarium CO2 Glass Drop Checker Ph Long Term Monitor Fish Tank Test | eBay

That's a good checker but the solutions are not!
You do need 4dkh solution.
You can buy or make,but it is important.
Then you can use the regular pH reagent from your api test kit.
Add drops till it is blue(3-5 usually works).

That's a good checker but the solutions are not!
You do need 4dkh solution.
You can buy or make,but it is important.
Then you can use the regular pH reagent from your api test kit.
Add drops till it is blue(3-5 usually works).

Yes!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If like me you prefer, you can buy ready made Co2 drop checker solution. It's made with Kh 4 solution with reagent already added. As you don't use a lot in a drop tester at a time I didn't find it overly expensive and I have more trust in it than making my own. I sourced it in the UK from Co2art.co.uk, but I'm sure similar is available from other retailers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I've taken your word and ordered it. I was going to attempt making it but I wouldn't trust my own either. I might try to make it and match it with the bought stuff when it arrives. It would be cool to be able to make my own but like you say it's not overly expensive anyway.

If you ever decide to try DIY 4dKH solution in the future: KH Standard / How to

Thanks, This recipe has a few ingredients I don't understand.
"sodium carbonate anhydrous"????
"a lab certified Alkalinity Standard Solution as NA2CO3 in 10mL Ampules"???

Then it says to use a "Graduated cylinder" for the baking soda recipe.
I best google what they mean by graduated cylinder. Never heard of one of those before.

I could persevere with this :hide:
I bought an API KH test kit btw. I hope that helps me. I'll be quite amazed if I pull this off.

I saw a youtube video on making it with some water bottles, distilled water, a scale and baking soda. They made it look quite simple.

Thanks, This recipe has a few ingredients I don't understand.
"sodium carbonate anhydrous"????
"a lab certified Alkalinity Standard Solution as NA2CO3 in 10mL Ampules"???

Then it says to use a "Graduated cylinder" for the baking soda recipe.
I best google what they mean by graduated cylinder. Never heard of one of those before.

I could persevere with this :hide:
I bought an API KH test kit btw. I hope that helps me. I'll be quite amazed if I pull this off.

I saw a youtube video on making it with some water bottles, distilled water, a scale and baking soda. They made it look quite simple.
Here is what I did. I put distilled water into a 1 liter bottle. I put a very small amount of baking soda into the bottle. I tested the water with a water hardness test kit. It came out about 6dKH. So, I dumped a small amount of water out of the 1 liter bottle and filled it back up with distilled water (diluting it). The second and third try rendered 5dKH. The fourth try was the charm! trust me when i say that a little baking soda goes a long way. It really wasn't that hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom