dry fertilizer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
What dry fertilizer is everybody using? Is it just the kind that you get in the garden section? I am currently using Flourish Complete which I recently found isn't complete. Could someone please recommend a good all round fertilizer?

I had another question that I forgot to add. My plants are getting holes in them. The amazon sword has jagged holes in some of its leaves. The lugwigia and moneywort have broken edges and some holes. I have shrimp and mystery snails. Could the snails have decided to eat the plants? I have a slight problem with hair algae and I have seen the snails climbing along the edges of the plants and eating the alge? Never seen them munching the plants though. My plants are also looking a little poor.

Most people I know in here that use dry frets use green leaf aquarium's PPS. It is a comprehensive, user adjusted system and if you have a serious planted tank it is a much cheaper way to go. Here is the website for you to check out. Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums
Check it out and if you have more questions, look up Rivercats as she has some more web links that explain it.
I use it and love it. OS.

What dry fertilizer is everybody using? Is it just the kind that you get in the garden section? I am currently using Flourish Complete which I recently found isn't complete. Could someone please recommend a good all round fertilizer?

Most people use NPK+Trace fertilizer, and buy them separately since each is needed in a different amount. Here is a link to a fairly inexpensive NPK+Trace fertilizer bundle: CSM+B NKP Combo Pack Bobs Tropical Plants

Also, here is a link on estimative index dosing (EI), an easy way to dose ferts for beginners: Co2, Fertilization, Algae and more updated 10/10

Last edited:
If the holes start out like pin holes you have a potassium deficiency. Fish can cause problems with plants sometimes.

As for the algae what type of lighting do you have and how long are you leaving it run daily? Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? Do you know you phosphate and nitrate readings? Algae happens when lighting/CO2/ferts are out of balance.

I let my diy CO2 run out a few weeks ago. I didn't notice it had stopped working for a couple of days. I started seeing algae when I had none since I started the CO2. My lights right now are three clamp lights with 20w, 6500k spiral CFL bulbs two inches from water surface. I have the timer set for 6 hours broken up into three on times so I can watch the tank when I am inside. So they are basically on for two hours at a time, three times a day. I was doing 8 hours of continuous time but shortened it to control the algae. It is a 29 gallon tank with two fish, shrimp, and snails.
Water perms from yesterdays testing are
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0 (have had problems with it off and on because of overfeeding. Under control now)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
GH 143.2
KH 89.5

No phosphate test kit. Do I need one?

The snails and shrimp are eating the algae. It is slowly receding. Except for what is growing in the moss. I tried cutting out the worst but it keeps coming back. It looks ugly. I cut back on fertilizers and my plants have suffered. Started using the Flourish Complete again today and will be ordering some dry ferts I was recommended in another post I made. My plants were growing very well until I slowed down on fertilizing and my CO2 ran out. I am keeping a closer eye on the CO2.

IMO you should have a phosphate test kit if you have a planted tank. Nitrates of 10-20ppm and phosphates at .5-1.5ppm are good for a planted tank.

I'd spot treat the moss with Hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn off you filters and lights, pull up 2-3ml of H2O2 for every 10g of tank water and squirt the algae on/in the moss as close to it as you can. Then wait 20 minutes and turn your filter/lights back on. It might take a couple treatments to get it all.

The problem with those are that you will have to buy canisters pretty often. Not sure it would be very cost effective. Have you considered using Metricide 14, which is really cheap, for a liquid carbon until you save up for a CO2 unit?

Is that gluteryde(spelling)? I have a place I can buy that from close but I am a little worried about dosing. It also seems weird to use something that is for disinfecting to grow plants. I am thinking that would probably be the way to go though. I will check out your posts to get directions on its use and try that. I just don't want to kill my water babies. All my money is going to building supplies right now. It will take me a year to be able to get everything I want for my tank.

Glutaraldehyde is the active ingredient in Excel. Also when you buy Glut it comes with a small activator bottle which gets thrown away. Used properly it's perfectly safe. You get a gallon of Glut on line for around $20 (shop around for the best deal), mix it with 1 gallon of RO or distilled water and you get 2 gallons for very cheap. BUT you have to store the mix in completely opaque light blocking containers as light will break down the Glut (same with Excel) and render it useless. Dose at 1ml per 10g tank water daily. With higher light tanks or tanks with alot of plants a higher dose may be needed.

Back
Top Bottom