Dsm white mold issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcuzimbatman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently started a dsm on a 10gal tank where I am growing DHG the substrate is Eco complete and I have 4 18w t5 on it with a 6500k spectrum. Yesterday I was misting them and adding some more root tabs (as I read one should do) the liquid I used to mist was water from my active fishtank mixed with API leaf zone for plant health. This morning I found a couple of white spots on the substrate. What is this and what should I do?

Please help get me on the right track with this I need to know what to do or stop doing next

I'd help if I could but it sounds like mold/fungus growth. I have never used the DSM either but I'd do some online research. But as an outdoor gardener I can tell you mold on plants usually has to do with not enough air circulation. Do you cover your tank in a DSM? If you that would mean a closed, humid, stagnant enviornment which mold loves. Hopefully someone who has actually used this method can comment. Also I would think your substrate could/would develop anaerobic issues too.

What does having anaerobic issues mean on my tank? And during a DSM one is supposed to cover the tank to keep it humid

Would flooding my dsm be a bad idea? I'll probably restart it with a new/better substrate later on in another tank but since I did this one wrong I'd rather cut my losses and not lose my plants

Anaerobic bacteria can cause methane (you know that rotten egg smell). When I did my organic dirt substrate I had to poke the soil daily to release gas. As for the mold I don't know any other way to control it other than air circulation in a less humid enviornment. Hopefully someone else has used this method and can give you some advice. Otherwise see what info you can find online.

Just a thought but have you just thought about filling the tank and adding the rest of the plants and let them grow and let the tank cycle. Its very doable. Don't know if I'd start over, your plants are already getting established so just go with it IMO. Sorry this is the best advice I can give you.

Back
Top Bottom